S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Radio SILENCE!!!!---

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 S-500, E-430S, '88 Mustang
Radio SILENCE!!!!---

OK so I read and followed all the links about not hearing any sound from my radio....and still have no answers
Just got a S-500 '00 4 days ago, radio was playing fine, till my friend wanted to find BASS and treble ....after a few clicks----BoOm...no SOUND!!

I dont know what he did, but no matter what I do ---I cant get any sound from the speakers??
-The SOS red light is ON by the sunroof-dont know if that has anything to do with it.
-The car has a phone craddle in the hand rest area--...Im assuming that its some sort of a mute button .....the radio mute is off, I checked, but after pressing some things I heard a sort of a dial tone, as if the car was in phone mode....
Damm I thought that the '99 E-Class was tricky, this takes the cake...HELP PLEASEEEEE
Old 09-23-2008, 09:45 PM

2005 S500 4Matic
the SOS button is designed to stay lit, so don't worry. For the audio, may be your friend changed to CD? Did you try to change the audio source (e.g. by double clicking on AUDIO to select a different source, like FM od CD)? Perhaps that gives you back the radio.

From what I get out of your description, the COMAND is not broken, it is just silent.

Hope that this will help...
Old 09-24-2008, 07:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you dont have Tele-aid activated and you push any of the Tele-aid buttons, the car will attempt to connect to tele-aid while muting the radio. It can take a long time before it stops attempting. Maybe thats what happened.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by kenstudios
If you dont have Tele-aid activated and you push any of the Tele-aid buttons, the car will attempt to connect to tele-aid while muting the radio. It can take a long time before it stops attempting. Maybe thats what happened.
And I think ur right-----
I dont know what my friend did, but i know that I deff pressed the TeleAid button, under the elbow rest as well as overhead...hmm...how do u cancel that??
Old 09-24-2008, 04:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
Originally Posted by E43 S
I dont know what my friend did, but i know that I deff pressed the TeleAid button, under the elbow rest as well as overhead...hmm...how do u cancel that??
lol that happened to me once, and for the life of me I couldn't get that damn phone/teleaid off! Even after the car was turned off!
Dunno if this did it or not, but I pressed a small button on the dash to the right of the spedo that had a R on it
Old 09-24-2008, 07:03 PM

Try holdng the "END" button on comand or the phone hang up on the steering. You'll have to hold it for a while.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 AM

Try holdng the "END" button on comand or the phone hang up on the steering. You'll have to hold it for a while.
OK this is new to me.......Ill deff try that today
I know I hit the button to hang up the phone Quickly....but i never held it...ooo mannnn....these tricky cars...turn the wheel left, turn the wheel right...pump the brake pedal 10 times, turn the AC on to LO, turn the Key half way, Fart...sneeze twice....close your eyes...hit the horn...and O **** ---Radio is on!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by trudawg
lol that happened to me once, and for the life of me I couldn't get that damn phone/teleaid off! Even after the car was turned off!
Dunno if this did it or not, but I pressed a small button on the dash to the right of the spedo that had a R on it
haha---yea tried that!!! lol...I think i hit every button in the car...I even prayed!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
I think I had this too once when I pushed the SOS or tele aid buttons

Push the teleaid buttons again I think or spam the reset or something.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gondon
I think I had this too once when I pushed the SOS or tele aid buttons

Push the teleaid buttons again I think or spam the reset or something.
.......what a great answer....now i deff know what to do!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:28 PM

So ...I think i tried everything.
I pulled out the cd changer in the trunk, with the amp...i disconected and reconected the fiber cables, wchich supposed to "wake up the radio" i think its called the DB2 wake up....thats didnt work, I then disconected the negative cable of the battery...waited 5 min, reconected the battery, that didnt work, but to my suprise it made my soft close on the front doors work again. And of caurse now i have 3 malfunctions on my display....airmatic, ABS, and one other thing....grrr...and still no radio.
The funny thing is that I didnt loose the pre-set radio stations after i disconected the battery......so now im confused...still no sound
Old 09-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
I pulled out the cd changer in the trunk, with the amp...i disconected and reconected the fiber cables, wchich supposed to "wake up the radio" i think its called the DB2 wake up....thats didnt work, I then disconected the negative cable of the battery...waited 5 min, reconected the battery, that didnt work, but to my suprise it made my soft close on the front doors work again. And of caurse now i have 3 malfunctions on my display....airmatic, ABS, and one other thing....grrr...and still no radio.
The funny thing is that I didnt loose the pre-set radio stations after i disconected the battery......so now im confused...still no sound
Blame your friend haha
Old 09-28-2008, 11:32 PM

2005 S500 4Matic
Are ALL audio sources silent? If so, there is always the possibility, that there is indeed something broken. Unfortunate, but possible.

In the end, there is always the possibility to go and see a dealer to have it fixed. Maybe, we all can learn from what they have to say...

Sorry, for not being more constructive...
Old 09-29-2008, 01:20 AM

Im glad I can always rely on u to give me a laugh!!!!

Originally Posted by Gondon
Blame your friend haha
Old 09-29-2008, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dino I
Are ALL audio sources silent? If so, there is always the possibility, that there is indeed something broken. Unfortunate, but possible.

In the end, there is always the possibility to go and see a dealer to have it fixed. Maybe, we all can learn from what they have to say...

Sorry, for not being more constructive...
Actually ...the speakers work...when i hit SOS or phone...u can hear the tone beep 3 times...so i know they work....unfortunately...not with the radio grrrr
Old 09-29-2008, 03:35 PM

2005 S500 4Matic
Ok, so finally, I gave it a try...

I do have an S500 MY2005 with MHI and no phone installed in the cradle. I own the car for just over two months now and don't have TeleAID activated (although the previous owner had, see below).

Pressing the (I) button muted the audio and tried to establish a connection (I did hear the ringtone). By pressing the (end call) button, I cancelled this and COMAND returned to nomal audio. Same for the (wrench) button. So far, so good.

Then I did it and pressed the SOS button. Audio muted and it did try to establish a connection. Pressed the (end call) button and ... nothing. Getting nervous, I pressed it repeatedly, and for a longer time, but it still tried to establish a connection and then I heard a voice asking me, how she can assist me. Ahem, I said, my little son pressed the button accidentally and I don't need assistance. Sorry, son. Call ended and audio resumed.

So, for me, it worked. And in the end, I can't tell you, what goes wrong with your system. Best bet: See the dealer.

Last edited by Dino I; 09-30-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:27 PM

,,.....Im gonne try the same....lolol
Originally Posted by Dino I
Ok, so finally, I gave it a try...

I do have an S500 MY2005 with MHI and no phone installed in the cradle. I own the car for just over two months now and don't have TeleAID activated (although the previous owner had, see below).

Pressing the (I) button muted the audio and tried to establish a connection (I did hear the ringtone). By pressing the (end call) button, I may cancelled this and COMAND returned to nomal audio. Same for the (wrench) button. So far, so good.

Then I did it and pressed the SOS button. Audio muted and it did try to establish a connection. Pressed the (end call) button and ... nothing. Getting nervous, I pressed it repeatedly, and for a longer time, but it still tried to establish a connection and then I heard a voice asking me, how she can assist me. Ahem, I said, my little son pressed the button accidentally and I don't need assistance. Sorry, son. Call ended and audio resumed.

So, for me, it worked. And in the end, I can't tell you, what goes wrong with your system. Best bet: See the dealer.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:01 PM

It's begining to sound like you have a bad "AMP". This would be the next thing to check.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:38 PM

It's begining to sound like you have a bad "AMP". This would be the next thing to check.
How can I check if I have a bad AMP?
there are no lights on it??

And or where can I check for the fuse....for the radio and Amp?
Old 09-30-2008, 02:54 PM

2005 S500 4Matic
I would suppose, that if you do hear a ringtone, that your amp is not bad. Isn't the ringtome amplified as well? Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Maybe, that only one or more of the inputs to your amp is bad (so again bad amp ), or something like that?

Last edited by Dino I; 09-30-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 229 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
How can I check if I have a bad AMP?
there are no lights on it??

And or where can I check for the fuse....for the radio and Amp?
It sounds more like the headunit since you sometimes hear sounds. But it can be many things. The fiber ring has to be unbroken, connecting all the audio components. A disconnected Teleaid or CD or phone fiber cable can prevent the system from working. All the components communicate via copper as well. To really diagnose what's disconnected or not working you need some expensive equipment. The dealer is the best bet to get it fixed, unfortunately.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:54 AM

OK....so the radio is WORKING!!!!
Damm.....Thousands of members here, and nobody even thought of the simplest thing to check.........THE DAMM FUSE!!!!
Attached is the photo...of my CD changer and the amp...turns out that the fuse from the side of the amp just fell out.... hence no sound!!!!

Wow 2 weeks, no radio, ....for a 2 min repair!!!
Attached Thumbnails Radio SILENCE!!!!----img_0496.jpg  
Old 10-03-2008, 06:45 PM

Damm.....Thousands of members here, and nobody even thought of the simplest thing to check.........THE DAMM FUSE!!!!
Attached is the photo...of my CD changer and the amp...turns out that the fuse from the side of the amp just fell out.... hence no sound!!!!

Great, can you imagine the labor rate on a fuse?
Old 10-08-2008, 02:31 PM

2005 S500 4Matic

Yeah, it always the same... You should start with the simple questions... like "is the system plugged in?" But we tend to think of the worst things first. Tough luck.

Good to hear though, that you finally found the culprit without spending to much $$$