S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Running rims without TP sensors??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 S63, lowered
Question Running rims without TP sensors??

I'm getting ready to purchase a set of 18's for my 65 to mount DR's on them.....I don't give a crap about the TPS sensors as the tires will be for track use only- but will I have to worry about any codes, T/C issues or anything that will hinder the car's driveability?

-Busa196-
Old 09-26-2008, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Busa196
I'm getting ready to purchase a set of 18's for my 65 to mount DR's on them.....I don't give a crap about the TPS sensors as the tires will be for track use only- but will I have to worry about any codes, T/C issues or anything that will hinder the car's driveability?

-Busa196-
I assume you mean set of rears only. You will get TPMS errors, but you can ignore them. You'll have to hit the reset button when they come up to get your speedometer back.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 White S430
I have 20's on my car and the tire pressure sensors go off and tell me that i need to correct the tire pressure, but the pressure is actually fine. Is there anyway to bypass this error?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 S63, lowered
Originally Posted by whoover
I assume you mean set of rears only. You will get TPMS errors, but you can ignore them. You'll have to hit the reset button when they come up to get your speedometer back.

Yep- only the rears. Thanks for the info Whoover
Old 09-27-2008, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by pwrofjoe
I have 20's on my car and the tire pressure sensors go off and tell me that i need to correct the tire pressure, but the pressure is actually fine. Is there anyway to bypass this error?
Wheel size should not matter. Pehaps the 20s were not compatible with the sensors so they weren't installed, or weren't installed properly? Assuming you're running pressure that's not too far off from the original, you should be able to recalibrate the TPMS to the new pressure. You can try resetting the TPMS using the instrument cluster option. Make sure the pressures are correct and then do the reset.

If you continue to get errors, you probably need new sensors. You can either replace them or see if your dealer will deactivate the TPMS for you. They can, but may refuse because of perceived liability issues.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 White S430
[QUOTE=whoover;3075094]Wheel size should not matter. Pehaps the 20s were not compatible with the sensors so they weren't installed, or weren't installed properly? Assuming you're running pressure that's not too far off from the original, you should be able to recalibrate the TPMS to the new pressure. You can try resetting the TPMS using the instrument cluster option. Make sure the pressures are correct and then do the reset.

If you continue to get errors, you probably need new sensors. You can either replace them or see if your dealer will deactivate the TPMS for you. They can, but may refuse because of perceived liability issues.[/QUOT]

Thanks for the info. It looks like only my RR sensor is having problems. I think the sensor was not installed correctly or broken when I upgraded my wheels. Off to the dealer I go!
Old 09-30-2008, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
[QUOTE=pwrofjoe;3076285]
Originally Posted by whoover
Wheel size should not matter. Pehaps the 20s were not compatible with the sensors so they weren't installed, or weren't installed properly? Assuming you're running pressure that's not too far off from the original, you should be able to recalibrate the TPMS to the new pressure. You can try resetting the TPMS using the instrument cluster option. Make sure the pressures are correct and then do the reset.

If you continue to get errors, you probably need new sensors. You can either replace them or see if your dealer will deactivate the TPMS for you. They can, but may refuse because of perceived liability issues.[/QUOT]

Thanks for the info. It looks like only my RR sensor is having problems. I think the sensor was not installed correctly or broken when I upgraded my wheels. Off to the dealer I go!
FYI. Those sensors can be purchased at tirerack for half the price of the dealer. BTW There is no incorrect way to install them they are all just a PIA to deal with IMO.