Rear Brakes - 2004 S500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S500, 1999 C230K, 1985 928S
Rear Brakes - 2004 S500

Hey guys!
I replaced my front pads and I thought the design was great. (pins, clip, compress, replace) 15 min. per side! Then I got to the rear, expecting the same experience... Man was I wrong! My rear calipers are open in the front, like... no piston on the front side???

Must my type of caliper be removed from the disc in order to change pads???

Thanks!
Nate
Old 10-01-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same design as front. Just find the pins and pop them out. Dont panic.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 AM

No man, just at the dealer plugging them for info, and picking up the new pads. Mine, for whatever reason, shares rear brakes with an E-Class and does not have the "quick release" dual piston design in the rear.

It has large rear pads (almost twice as big) with hooks at the top and bottom that slide in slots as they wear, and a single large piston in the back, such that the pad is floating. They warned me that MB makes design changes and VIN is the only way to get the correct parts. Watch out for third party suppliers that only go by model year and not the VIN!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by suprnate
No man, just at the dealer plugging them for info, and picking up the new pads. Mine, for whatever reason, shares rear brakes with an E-Class and does not have the "quick release" dual piston design in the rear.

It has large rear pads (almost twice as big) with hooks at the top and bottom that slide in slots as they wear, and a single large piston in the back, such that the pad is floating. They warned me that MB makes design changes and VIN is the only way to get the correct parts. Watch out for third party suppliers that only go by model year and not the VIN!!!
The rears are just as easy as the front..

YOu have two bolts (torx) that have to be removed behind the calipers and they lift right out. Put the new pads on the caliper supports, put the calipers back on and tighten the two screws back. Dont forget to reinstall the spring. And you;re done....
Old 10-01-2008, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The rears are just as easy as the front..

YOu have two bolts (torx) that have to be removed behind the calipers and they lift right out. Put the new pads on the caliper supports, put the calipers back on and tighten the two screws back. Dont forget to reinstall the spring. And you;re done....

Your parts guy is F.O.S. Rear pads are NOT VIN specific, they are year and model specific only..
Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 AM

Thanks 06clk... Believe me, I want to avoid the dealer at all cost... just this morning, picking up my pads, two of the techs were arguing about my fingers getting blown off by the automatic brake primer (since my pads are shared with an E-class, the document comes with the pads)... Just the fact that no one at the dealership knew for sure that my S does not have this system...

So, I just want to get some procedure here...
I did see two large hex bolts that seem to hold the assembly on the hub. You're saying that these do not get removed. And I should be looking for two torx type bolts. These will allow (something?) caliper subassembly of some sort to slide right off and I'll be able to mount the new pads.

I'll have to take a look tonight...
The ability to get answers and look stuff up here is awesome! Proud to be part of MBW!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks 06clk... Believe me, I want to avoid the dealer at all cost... just this morning, picking up my pads, two of the techs were arguing about my fingers getting blown off by the automatic brake primer (since my pads are shared with an E-class, the document comes with the pads)... Just the fact that no one at the dealership knew for sure that my S does not have this system...

So, I just want to get some procedure here...
I did see two large hex bolts that seem to hold the assembly on the hub. You're saying that these do not get removed. And I should be looking for two torx type bolts. These will allow (something?) caliper subassembly of some sort to slide right off and I'll be able to mount the new pads.

I'll have to take a look tonight...
The ability to get answers and look stuff up here is awesome! Proud to be part of MBW!!!
Yes, the Calipers actually "Float" on the two torx bolt that you have to remove. Don;t remove the Hex bolts as they are there to hold the entire aseembly on. The Torx Bolts are inside two rubber type covers.
You simply need to use a screwdriver or small pry tool to push on the old pads to collapse the piston then, remove the spring clip,

loosen the Torx bolts, lift out the caliper, pop in the new pads,

reinsert the calipers,

tighten the Bolts, replace the spring.

Open the drivers door and with the CAR OFF depress the break bedal in small stokes till the piston comes back out ( do not press the pedal to the floor ).

Once the piston is seated you will fell pedal pressure, you can then pump the brake pedal.. When you feel good pressure again, close the drives door, and proceed to the other side repeating the same steps.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 AM

thanks my06clk!!!

Wanted to take a minute to say thanks my06clk,
Rear brake pad install went great. Your instructions were bang on. The torx were so far inside the boot that i never even saw them.

The rear pads were so bad that less than 1mm remained on the "no sensor" side. Scary! Again, thanks for taking the time to hook me up and keeping me away from the stealership!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wanted to take a minute to say thanks my06clk,
Rear brake pad install went great. Your instructions were bang on. The torx were so far inside the boot that i never even saw them.

The rear pads were so bad that less than 1mm remained on the "no sensor" side. Scary! Again, thanks for taking the time to hook me up and keeping me away from the stealership!
Congrats..

Glad to hear you were successful.. Thats what we're here for!!