Strut issue/new rims & tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2008 | 01:33 PM

2001 s 500
Strut issue/new rims & tires

Hello everyone

I have asked questions before but did not remember my old user name

I just changed the rims and tires on my vehicle (01 s500) to 20in - I normally did not use the airmatic since I already had to replace 1 strut/shock

Now I did use it this morning since the ride is a little rougher - I just turned it off and notice one side (passenger back) is lower than driver back - I do a very scientific test( how many fingers can I put between the tire and car and its about 3 on the driver and 2 tight on the passenger)

I am not getting any message from the airmatic and it did raise everyone up just fine - could it be a leak or is it the new rims and I am ok

If its something fixable I would rather fix a leak vs changing another strut - should i drive with the airmatic on for safety or is that going to make it worse?

Thank you in advance

Veronica

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2008 | 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by miachic
Hello everyone

I have asked questions before but did not remember my old user name

I just changed the rims and tires on my vehicle (01 s500) to 20in - I normally did not use the airmatic since I already had to replace 1 strut/shock

Now I did use it this morning since the ride is a little rougher - I just turned it off and notice one side (passenger back) is lower than driver back - I do a very scientific test( how many fingers can I put between the tire and car and its about 3 on the driver and 2 tight on the passenger)

I am not getting any message from the airmatic and it did raise everyone up just fine - could it be a leak or is it the new rims and I am ok

If its something fixable I would rather fix a leak vs changing another strut - should i drive with the airmatic on for safety or is that going to make it worse?

Thank you in advance

Veronica

Thanks!
first of all for clarity, you can not turn off or on your airmatics. If you are referring to the button on the dash with the two lights, they are to set your suspension dampening sport1 and sport 2 respectively.

Secondly your uneveness is common but it has nothing to do with your rims,
nor is it a sign of a strut leak.

I had mine taken in and they were able to adjusts my left and right heights via STAR diagnosis. IT was a freebie for me but it may cost you at least 1 hour labor and hopefully the Tech and SR know what they are doing.

I can assure you though it is not a bad strut. I thought the same thing but my SR who is very good with these cars helped me and got it corrected.

FYI. Typically you will find about 1/4" difference between the left and right rear on these cars on a level surface. IF the surface the car is sitting on is not level it may be more.

When you do your finger test next time, make sure you are sitting on even pavement across all four wheels.. IF there is a big difference then, you should take it in and have it corrected.

One other thing you could try is to raise your car completely by using the raise button on your dash, and then let it lower and do this four or five times to see if it will synch itself. Usually if your car was on a lift the wrong way for too long and your heights are uneven as a result,, this will correct that.

Last edited by my06clk; 10-04-2008 at 12:08 AM.