S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Removing plastic headlight covers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220 S600, W203 220CDI, W109 3.5 V8
Removing plastic headlight covers

I have tried searching on the forum regarding this subject but with no results so I'll ask you guys, maybe someone has some knowledge about it.

I wanted to ask if it is possible to remove the plastic headlight covers and replace them with new headlight covers (from headlights that I bought on e-bay)? My headlight covers have a strange brownish color and it didn't go away after polishing them (It's possible that I made some mistakes during polishing though).

Actually, I have another problem with my bi-xenon headlights. The xenon bulbs were getting weaker so I replaced them with new ones and the light improved but it's still not like in other W220 - bright clear white-light blue color. My headlight are white-blue when I turn them on, than after a couple of seconds they become white (and look a little weaker than when I turned them on).
I went to the my dealership and they told me all is fine and that is the normal light. I'm not so sure about that because when I drive my S class in the dark I see the same as in my C class (without xenon).

Anyone knows what could be the problem?
BTW, I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow so you can have a better idea ...

Greetings,
Old 10-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
I was goona make a thread on this later today:

I did the headlight restoration.

Here is similair b4 and after pics

http://www.fixmyheadlights.com/files...geRightb&a.JPG
https://www.storesonlinepro.com/file.../BENZE%201.JPG

Ill post my pics later, I need to run now and Ill tell you how to do it.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:35 AM

2005 s430
Smile Does anyone know where i can buy the plastic headlight covers ?

Originally Posted by Prinz Eugen
I have tried searching on the forum regarding this subject but with no results so I'll ask you guys, maybe someone has some knowledge about it.

I wanted to ask if it is possible to remove the plastic headlight covers and replace them with new headlight covers (from headlights that I bought on e-bay)? My headlight covers have a strange brownish color and it didn't go away after polishing them (It's possible that I made some mistakes during polishing though).

Actually, I have another problem with my bi-xenon headlights. The xenon bulbs were getting weaker so I replaced them with new ones and the light improved but it's still not like in other W220 - bright clear white-light blue color. My headlight are white-blue when I turn them on, than after a couple of seconds they become white (and look a little weaker than when I turned them on).
I went to the my dealership and they told me all is fine and that is the normal light. I'm not so sure about that because when I drive my S class in the dark I see the same as in my C class (without xenon).

Greetings,
Can you please tell me where i can buy the plastic headlight covers on e-bay? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:30 AM

S500
Originally Posted by AMGS55
Can you please tell me where i can buy the plastic headlight covers on e-bay? Thanks.
just look up S500 headlight on ebay they show up every now and then, you can also buy them from the dealership but I think they are pretty pricey. you could just get a set of used headlights in better shape off ebay for cheaper than new covers from the dealership.

there were some on there a few weeks ago for like $50 minimum bid I think, so they do show up every now and then, and then there are also times where there are auctions for headlight parts. just check on there periodically. If I were you tho I would try polishing them first, youd be suprised at the difference it makes if you do it right.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:47 AM

S500
Originally Posted by Prinz Eugen

Greetings,

ok well as far as your xenon lights go they seem to be fine, GIVEN That the bulbs are properly Seated, and installed im sure the dealership would have checked this. Also That you DIDNT touch the bulb, this is a big no no, and that your headlights are properly aligned, and well with autoleveling that should be ok as well.

But if you bought brand new OEM bulbs which for you car should be either Phillips or Osram D2S then you will notice that the color is indeed white, all OEM xenon bulbs brand new are white or appear to be yellowish even once they are completely warmed up. When you first turn on your headlights they will be a bluish color, all xenon lamps are like this, then as they warm up they will go white. But one rule of thumb the more blue the less bright your bulbs are, yours right now while they seem white or yellow, they are the brightest your xenons can be.

now As your bulbs grow older as in more hours of usage they will color shift, your bulbs will start to loose the yellowish color in them and start to go more towards a brilliant white with a bluish hue that you are talking about. the other W220's you are talking about probably look blue for 1 of 2 reasons:

1 reason being is they have the original bulbs which have color shifted and give off a more bluish light, this just comes with age, if you want blue bulbs, your probably better off putting your old ones back in. I gaurantee they will be more blue, BUT I also guarantee they WONT be as bright.

2. The other reason that the other headlights seem bluer may be because that with projector headlights there is what is called the cutoff. This is where the light output of the projector stops I think yours should look like this

_____ ________
______/ ____/

you get the idea, ^this is the cutoff....well this is sort of the edge to the light your projector is putting out, and at this edge there is a prism of colors, most of the time a dark blue to a purple, different projectors and cars vary some giving off more or less. But if you look at your lights at a white wall you will see the line of colors.

Also If you kind of bob your head up and down and look at your headlights dead on you will see what I am talking about, and will see the shades of blue and purple. its hard to see these when you are driving the car but trust me the other people on the road can see this as it is more obvious for oncoming drivers thats why other W220's may appear more blue, but this is just the cutoff of that drivers headlights coming into your line of sight, his headlights are just as white as yours...like the dealership said this is normal

also as far as brightness your xenon lights should be quite a bit brighter than that non xenon c-class, maybe the same color since you have new bulbs but definately should be brighter. BUT Just in case post pictures we will be able to tell if there is a problem.

Last edited by donjuan45i; 10-13-2008 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:44 PM

Thank you very, very much for this detailed explanation. Now, as you have mentioned, you're right - indeed it is white with a little yellow. By your explanation it really looks like my headlights are all right. Guess I was fooled when looking by incoming W220. Though, if all is right I must say I'm a little disappointed by the bi-xenon performance.

Here are some pictures that I took a few minutes ago;

1. This is immediately after turning the lights on

2. And this is after a couple of seconds

This is how it looks (the lights border on the wall has a yellow "line" and the light doesn't look really white but does have a yellow "touch")

Thank you once again for you help .

BTW, for those who asked about the headlight covers purchase - as a fellow member has already wrote, you can find them on e-bay every now and then. If no, you could buy those aftermarket headlights and just use the plastic cover. I have seen a guy changing them once, although not much on that subject on the net ...

Greetings,
Old 10-14-2008, 03:23 PM

S500
no problem..glad to be of any help

but one thing by the looks of the last picture it it appears that there may be a hot spot toward the center. A hot spot is an indicator that optics of the projector are not as they should, something could be out of alignment. its hard to say though....if you get a chance take the car to somewhere there is a fairly tall and white or just cement wall. Usually the side of a store, building. just dont let it be a dark colored building as light doesnt show up well on dark color and do the same thing as you did with the last picture this will give us a chance to look at your beam. Also park a little further back, id say another about a car length. This will let us take a good look at your cutoff and light distribution to see if there is anything wrong

now your headlights just may be dusty but if they are clean, they seem to be a little hazy or cloudy, you could try giving them a polish. It could just be the picture though, if they are pretty clear just leave them alone, as polishing can remove the protective layer on the headlights and make them vulnerable to UV damage. If indeed they are cloudy already this can also be reducing the output

Our headlights didnt come with the best of HID components. Mercedes mainly sticks with the European lighting manufacturer Hella, (so does BMW) while hella makes pretty good headlights their components arent up to par with that of Japenese HID manufacturers such as Koito/Denso (our cars headlights dont compete with those of the Lexus LS430/460) they have a MUCH better spread of light. This is pretty average with our headlights tho, they arent the BEST bixenon out there, they also arent the worst though.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:27 PM

Thanks again for all this infomations. I owe you a beer

I wasn't around lately so I was unable to reply earlier. I'll try to take some photos as you said within the next couple of days and I'll post them here.

Thanks again ...
Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 AM

i have stock xenon headlights on a e430 2001 and i was wondering if you could tell me how to do the headlight restoration because they are very hazy, thanks in advance
Old 10-23-2008, 08:28 AM

Check HERE or HERE. Of course, there are lots of other sites where you can find some information on the subject but, more or less the basis is the same ...
Old 07-11-2011, 03:53 PM

220 cdi
Hello Can any one tell me whether front cover of plastic headlight.w203 c class mercedes,can be removed. if so how can? 2.does this car needs bleeding after flush/refill the coolant.Many thanks.Nasser
Old 07-11-2011, 03:58 PM

220 cdi
220 cdi w203,mercedes

Can any body tell me,whether front plastic cover of mercedes w203 c class can be removed. if so then how? also does it need to bleed the system after flush/refill the coolant.Many thanks Nasser