S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2nd S Flooded This week! S Owners Keep your Drains Clean!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011_C350
Your personal auto insurer will handle the entire process including the subrogation for damages beyond your policies rental reimbursement amount.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
I just had this happen to me, luckily not too much water got in before I noticed it.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by Richie999
So if his insurance company is paying (from the comprehensive coverage) why would he challenge the hotel's insurance company?
To recover his out-of-pocket expenses not covered by his own policy, of course. Think! It is inherent in what I said.

If he won, he would owe the money to his personal auto insurance company.
I recommended that he contest the hotel insurer's denial of claim. This is done in an appeal to the insurance company, with the process for appealing ordinarily pointed out in the document denying all or part of a claim. He would of course work through his own insurance company, which is clearly already involved; and he can do so through BOTH - a matter which he clearly understands, since he discusses subrogation. He has pointed out two additional options, involving legal action in court. I have not recommended legal action in court at this point, despite both being available options. His contest of the denial is to the company that denied it, and to his own insurance company.

Your personal auto insurer will handle the entire process including the subrogation for damages beyond your policies rental reimbursement amount.
They have to know of the damages that are not being covered. He has to tell them.

You cannot be paid twice for one claim
I never said he should seek double reimbursement for damages; you introduced that.

correct-- subrogate. so just relax and all will be fine.
If he does not contest the denial of claim, neither the hotel's insurer not his own company will do anything about it. It is up to him to point out - best if to both - that he has damages that are not covered.

You personally have zero, no action against the hotel except for what is not covered by your insurer.
"...Except for what is not covered by your insurer" - exactly what is different from what I said?

And Skylaws suggestion is simply a means to raise your blood pressure.
3) Don't impugn my motives, Richie999. I have suggested that he can recover the entire amount of his damages. They are significant. Laying down and leaving everything in the hands of two insurers, with no action on his part, will causes him unnecessary loss.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-22-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 2009 E550
WATER DAMAGE

Originally Posted by Skylaw
To recover his out-of-pocket expenses not covered by his own policy, of course. Think! It is inherent in what I said.

I recommended that he contest the hotel insurer's denial of claim. This is done in an appeal to the insurance company, with the process for appealing ordinarily pointed out in the document denying all or part of a claim. He would of course work through his own insurance company, which is clearly already involved; and he can do so through BOTH - a matter which he clearly understands, since he discusses subrogation. He has pointed out two additional options, involving legal action in court. I have not recommended legal action in court at this point, despite both being available options. His contest of the denial is to the company that denied it, and to his own insurance company.

They have to know of the damages that are not being covered. He has to tell them.

I never said he should seek double reimbursement for damages; you introduced that.

If he does not contest the denial of claim, neither the hotel's insurer not his own company will do anything about it. It is up to him to point out - best if to both - that he has damages that are not covered.

"...Except for what is not covered by your insurer" - exactly what is different from what I said?

3) Don't impugn my motives, Richie999. I have suggested that he can recover the entire amount of his damages. They are significant. Laying down and leaving everything in the hands of two insurers, with no action on his part, will causes him unnecessary loss.
I have attached one picture of the parking lot and one picture of the vehicle.

I know it is best to work with my carrier during the subrogation. The third party carrier may continue to deny the claim or agreed to settle for a lesser amount to avoid going to court. If the amount very small some insurance carrier will not subrogate because of the cost of filing a law suit.

I have made my carrier aware of all the my out of pocket expenses and they are aware of the amount they have paid the dealer.

I think it is a dead end with the third party carrier after all the appeals. Once an attorney is introduced in the process by my carrier I should see some type of movement by the third party carrier.
Attached Thumbnails 2nd S Flooded This week! S Owners Keep your Drains Clean!!!-20110321-00005.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 05-26-2011, 10:50 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
Water Damage

Despite the damage originating from a different cause, it is likely to be the same as the damage caused by the plugged drain holes. Your dealer should check the SAMs and replace them if necessary. With functioning SAMs you should be OK electrically.

Your oil should also be checked for water. It is likely the water you saw discharged was in the muffler, and perhaps the CATs - but it could also have gotten into the crankcase.

You may have been much better off if the hotel manager had left your car alone, and let you have it towed.
It took the factory six weeks to deliver the wire harness from the factory in Germany to the dealer.

The vehicle has been in the shop for over two months withou any estimate on the completion time most of the time was used to rewire the vehicle.

The dashboard was removed earlier this week.

I asked the dealer about the oil and replacing the battery. He said they should be okay. He said they will completely check the vehicle once the wiring is completed. The dealer is estimating another two to three weeks before the vehicle will be completely repaired.

The dealer services two other brands and Mercedes-Benz. I am not sure what portion of the shop is limited to MB.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, S500
Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
I just had this happen to me, luckily not too much water got in before I noticed it.
So my AC isn't blowing!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
So my AC isn't blowing!
my blower motor works, but i lost heat when my drains overflowed. is there some heater control valve that could have been damaged?
Old 05-30-2011, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, S500
Payment for Future Water Damage: MBUSA will pay for repairs due to water damage incurred as a result of a clogged reed valve in Class Vehicles after the Effective Date of the Settlement, but prior to the expiration of eighteen (18) months from the Effective Date of the Settlement or up to 100,000 miles on the vehicle’s odometer, whichever occurs first, provided that: the owner or lessee obtained regular “A” or “B” service at an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer during the period between Final Approval of the Settlement and the onset of water damage; and all water damage repairs are performed at an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer. MBUSA will notify authorized dealers regarding the settlement and this provision, and will compensate dealers directly for repairs (parts and labor) performed pursuant to the Settlement Agreement, including installation of a secondary drain valve pursuant to MBUSA Dealer Technical Bulletin (“DTB”) P-B-83.10/75.

Settlement Date: June 16, 2010
Does this mean we are still eligible?
http://www.reedvalvesettlement.com/faq.html

I've been doing my A service in an Independent any way I can play this off?

I need to get my blower motor/regulator on AC replaced.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Just get service done at MB now, and go back a bit later to get the blower fixed....

The Settlement date was June 16 2010 so its reasonable time for you get a service now. The services did not need to be done at MB prior to settlement date
Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 AM

Mercedes W220 320CDI
Hi everyone,

I have the same problem, the carpets at the rear are soaked, but it seems that this happens when I top up the water in the car. When I top it up the carpets get drenched with water. And I get an error on the dash to refill water every 2 days from full. Any ideas? The mechanic checked and couldn't find a leak strangly enough
Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 s500
I'm curious. What do you mean by "top up the water"? Adding antifreeze/water, adding windshield washer/water or something else? None of the systems are directly interconnected but if its the engine cooling system, I can see how a leak in the interior heater box could leak into the cars cabin area. Were exactly does the carpet get drenched?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 AM

Mercedes W220 320CDI
Adding anti freeze/water... The carpets get drenched on both sides at rear.
The water is coming through the grills at the bottom. The trays gets full of water and then starts going over the top.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by anda
Adding anti freeze/water... The carpets get drenched on both sides at rear.
The water is coming through the grills at the bottom. The trays gets full of water and then starts going over the top.
take a picture of where you are adding the water. You wouldnt happen to be adding the water into the black box with the plastic waffle covering , by the windshield wipers, are you?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 AM

Mercedes W220 320CDI
I am adding water to the container where you keep antifreeze So its not the wrong place
Old 06-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 s500
Do you have the rear seat heater configuration? Any idea on quantity, ie does it look like the same amount of water is soaking the carpet as you are putting in? Does the water in the soaked carpet have glycol in it as well (I would assume so but check anyways if you don't know. See if it is sweet tasting)
Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 AM

Mercedes W220 320CDI
I am not at home, but i know that i had a friend sit in the back with white trainers and they turned red
Old 06-27-2011, 04:47 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
FLOOD WIRING HARNESS

Despite the damage originating from a different cause, it is likely to be the same as the damage caused by the plugged drain holes. Your dealer should check the SAMs and replace them if necessary. With functioning SAMs you should be OK electrically.

Your oil should also be checked for water. It is likely the water you saw discharged was in the muffler, and perhaps the CATs - but it could also have gotten into the crankcase.

You may have been much better off if the hotel manager had left your car alone, and let you have it towed.
I picked up my vehicle from the out of town dealer after 95 days.
The total cost was $13,815.00. The wiring harness was replaced, replaced front seat frames, replaced front seat control units, replaced seat heater control and replaced airmatic compressor.
There were no problems with the vehicle on the drive back home.
The dealer was a multiple dealership servicing three different manufacturers. There may have been only three of four MB mechanic in the dealership. There may have been about twenty bays in the shop servicing all three manufacturers.
In the future if I am only a couple of hundred miles from home. I would consider towing the vehicle to a local large dealer or making sure the dealer is AAA approved.

I will have to wait for my insurance carrier to subrogate out any out of pocket expenses.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S600 (V220.176)
Originally Posted by KevinJ
Well, today I removed some components from the car from under the rear passenger right seat.

I removed the grey square component which is attached to it's metal frame housing still, along with a small white clear plastic box, all connectors removed and left in car.
The first picture shows the seat controller - it delivers compressed air to various parts of the seat to adjust lumbar and other settings.

The second has already been identified as SAM (not by me) and the third is a mystery. You would typically expect in there the unit that controls the phone and the unit to control hands free phone operation. The latter can also be a Linguatronic module. The device shown is neither of these.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:00 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
Originally Posted by Jerry-
The first picture shows the seat controller - it delivers compressed air to various parts of the seat to adjust lumbar and other settings.

The second has already been identified as SAM (not by me) and the third is a mystery. You would typically expect in there the unit that controls the phone and the unit to control hands free phone operation. The latter can also be a Linguatronic module. The device shown is neither of these.
There were no problem with the rear seats. There was an additional problems with the airmatic modual control that is located under the dashboard on the passenger side front. The part was ordered and replace. There are no error mee
Old 10-12-2011, 12:33 PM

s320/s500
You may have a missing or leaking headlight washer nozzle. It's my guess that water can migrate from the headlight area into the passenger compartment. I have simply capped my headlight washer exit nozzle at the refill tank. It comes out very easily.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:01 AM

2000 Benz S500
Originally Posted by KevinJ
Well, today I removed some components from the car from under the rear passenger right seat.

I removed the grey square component which is attached to it's metal frame housing still, along with a small white clear plastic box, all connectors removed and left in car.

This grey square component has connectors for heated seats and one going to the CAN?

There are also a couple of boxes attached to the underside of the metal frame.

Picture below, please can someone name these components and what they do :-

Attachment 145589

I also removed this part which I think is the rear SAM and took it apart from the rear fuse box (which is left in the car with the 2 million wires).

Picture below, please can someone confirm this component and what it does (hope the lights as mentioned before)

Attachment 145590

And finally this small solid metal looking component with BOSCH labelled on it, this was the most wet and the connectors were dripping when I removed it.

Picture below, please can someone name this component and what is does :

Attachment 145588

I have left all the wiring in the car along with the rear fuse box, to dry away from the base of the seat area and left lots of absorbant towelling to get any remaining water and to hopefully dry out some of the wet wiring.

If drying these out does not work, at least I know I can change the part if need be, but which one of the above components does the lights related to, paticurlarly the registration lights?

I have been told the rear SAM which I think is the part I detached from under the rear fuse box in the second picture?

Thanks in advance.
Hey, i am having the same problem you had. Any idea what the white container is for on pic 1? And what is that component in pic 3 for? What the component name
Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
Water damage to vehicle

Originally Posted by DONMOHAN
Hey, i am having the same problem you had. Any idea what the white container is for on pic 1? And what is that component in pic 3 for? What the component name
My vehicle was being serviced about two hundred miles North of my home city so I did not get a change to inspect the vehicle during the repairs.
All the carpet and floor mats were remove together with any damage parts below the floorboard. The wiring harness and all it components were replaced. The seat motors and heaters were replaced.
The only additional service that was required about a month later was the replacement of the airmatic module. I started receiving a malfunction notice on the displayed. I was not sure if it was warranty work or from the floor. The factory representative came out said it was not related to a part failure and was not covered. The insurance carrier came out took some pictures of the module that showed water damage and approved the additional repairs.
I am not sure how well you can dry any parts out that are still attached to the vehicle. I drop my vehicle to Death Valley for a few days the temperature was over 100 everyday. The water from the initial flood was not dried out. I understand that the water just travels along the wiring or other parts like a wick.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, S500
Well my issue was resolved last week.

I took out the blower motor and it turns out it was seized and had rust on the axles which was preventing the fans from spinning. Put WD-40 on the axels and spun the fan loose.

Started right up like a champ..I was expecting all the electric internals to be fried..

Last edited by Das Geld 2; 11-15-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:48 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
WATER DAMAGE TO VEHICLE

Well my issue was resolved last week.

I took out the blower motor and it turns out it was seized and had rust on the axles which was preventing the fans from spinning.

Started right up like a champ..I was expecting all the electric internals to be fried..
I was surprise of the amount of damage that can be sustained to a vehicle pasting through a small amount of water or being flooded in a few inches of water. I take extra caution when driving in the rain and where I park my vehicle.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
The problem with our cars is that you don't need to drive through water, simply being out in the rain or even going through a car wash can cause the interior flooding!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2nd S Flooded This week! S Owners Keep your Drains Clean!!!