S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2000-2002 S class nav system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A6 S-line
2000-2002 S class nav system

Is there any way to get updated maps with the built in navigation system? Also, is there a way to hook up an iPod easily?

I'm considering this as a second car, but I heard that only old maps are available.

Also, how's the seat room for a driver who's over 6 feet tall?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
I myself am looking at iPod Solutions, it looks like the best one I have found so far is the Dice Electronics i-MERCEDES-D2B which looks like it will have some wheel and screen functionality whereas the other solutions don't. As far as maps I am looking too.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Welcome to the forum, lvlbx3 and Storm Law.

You will not get song title readout on the DICE unit or any other brand, because the COMAND you have (for a D2B fiber optics bus) is not "text capable." At most you will get track number - and the tracks will not always be accurate. Text capability became available with the DVD-based MOST fiber optic COMAND units in the '04 model year.

The Dension Gateway 500 is very good, and indeed provides full steering wheel control. However, because of the song title, album, and artist display limitations of the older COMANDs, using the steering wheel controls is not the best way to go.

With a D2B Gateway 500, it is most convenient to select a playlist, album, or artist on the iPod itself; then, scroll within the list using the steering wheel controls, and control volume as you like. All the other audio functions will be integrated properly.

Installation of the D2B unit is much simpler than my writeup of a MOST bus installation at https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/194660-gateway-500-most-o-good-unit-poor-documentation.html so don't be put off by that.

I have been very happy with the Dension unit. Installation and operator manuals are at http://www.dension.com/download_icelink.html (be sure to download the D2B versions). The main Dension site is at www.dension.com.

The gateway 500 is also available with an optional Bluetooth phone add-on.

The late production (mid-November '99 +) '00s and the '01 through '03 models have "D" nav systems. The latest CD set for it is dated 01/07 (January 2007), MB part # BQ 6 46 0222. It is no longer listed as available on the NavTeq site, and I do not believe there will be further updates; the best source would be your dealership (about $275 for a full set - the only way they're sold by dealers). Individual discs would be available only on ebay or a private individual who is willing to break a set.

'00 models prior to November '99 manufacture use a "C" nav system; nav CDs for those are hard to get. They are dated 02/04 and the part number is BQ 6 46 0191. There will not be further updates. "C" nav CDs and "D" nav CDs are not interchangeable; they use entirely different formats. There is no update to make them compatible.

You can check the production date of an S-Class by checking the template on the driver's door sill. You can check for certain which nav system a car has by the procedure here: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&highlight=Nav - it is possible that on early production '00s, a malfunctioning "C" nav was replaced by a new "D" nav unit. Best to check.

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-29-2008 at 11:03 PM.