S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Is a cd changer/iPhone switcher possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2008 | 01:06 PM

2000 s500
Is a cd changer/iPhone switcher possible?

I have a 2000 S500 and there are solutions that let you select just iPod or cd changer. Is it possible to add some sort of splitter that will let you use either at will? This seems like the best solution, has anyone heard of something like this? Any ideas on price for custom solution? Thanks
Old 10-31-2008 | 07:47 PM

Some people here have used this Dension ICE link gateway product. I haven't used it so I can't comment on functionality. It costs a good penny.

http://www.speed-detectors.co.uk/cat...acturers_id=16
Old 11-02-2008 | 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The Dension Gateway 500 Version 3 hardware (currently shipping) is designed to let you switch from the CDC to the iPod/iPhone and back "on the fly." Unfortunately, cars that have a trunk-mounted CDC such as yours would have to run an additional long fiber optic lead between the GW 500 box (usually mounted near the head unit) and the CDC. That would not be a fun proposition, but it could be done.

The Gateway 500 Version 3 hardware is similar to the one in the link provided by kenstudios, except that next to the "input" (1 in the diagram), there is also a second input. Input (1) becomes labeled "Car" and the second input is labeled "CDC."

Mounting the GW 500 in the trunk is a difficult proposition because its iPod, USB and RCA inputs need to be in the console, and the wires for those are not long enough to go from the trunk to the console. One avenue would be to lengthen them, and put the GW 500 electronics in the trunk where the CDC could connect directly to the "CDC connector" of the GW 500; and if you have an unused fiber optics lead (such as for voice control) that would connect to the "Car" connector of the GW 500 (connecting it in turn to the head unit), then I suppose it could be done.

Otherwise, you're into running that additional fiber optics lead from the trunk to the head unit area again.

In all, it is probably better just to decide whether to use the iPod/iPhone music or the CDC before starting to drive.

I don't know of any other fiber optic solutions that would let you change "on the fly."

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-02-2008 at 12:59 PM.