S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Bumpy ride; Problem's not always the suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320 former CLK230 kompresor (euro specs) and BMWe39
Smile Bumpy ride; Problem's not always the suspension

Just got hold of my pre-owned S320. Since the dealer sold it to me they tried to fix as much as they can. I felt really bad because when i took delivery i felt a very bumpy ride and and a little vibration on the seat, a sort of up down wobbly feeling. This occured in the 10 to 40 km belt and diappeared as i inched up from 60 to higher speeds.

Spent the whole night last night figuring it out. Was supposed to return it to the dealer for a fix but they suggested i try the tire shop first.

When i got there the guy noticed that one wheel was older than the other and had a deep cut in the groove where you could already see the steel threads. As i was afraid of a suspension problem i prayed that it was just the tires and i was ready to change all of them.

The tireman said that the older wheel was probably oblong in shape and was causing the bumpy ride. I changed it and the problem went away. He even suggested, and i took the bait to fill up with Nitrogen air in the tires for a softer ride. It was US$2.00 per wheel so i did it.

Problem solved, no more vibration or shimmy. Dont know if its the placebo effect but ride seems softer.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
It is likely that with a cut as deep as you described, your tire was out of round - the belts were probably damaged or stretched.

As to nitrogen - I have wondered about that. Ordinary atmospheric air is 78% nitrogen. I just wonder how much gain is realized by replacing the 21% of air that is oxygen? I doubt much. I have read the claims - and they seem like no more than thin marketing hype to me.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 PM

ML320 former CLK230 kompresor (euro specs) and BMWe39
Originally Posted by Skylaw
As to nitrogen - I have wondered about that. Ordinary atmospheric air is 78% nitrogen. I just wonder how much gain is realized by replacing the 21% of air that is oxygen? I doubt much. I have read the claims - and they seem like no more than thin marketing hype to me.
Honestly i dont know if there's any truth that the ride is softer. Although I read somewhere that by filling up the tire with Nitrogen, thereby minimizing the content of moisture air in the tire. The tire becomes less susceptible to psi increase or decrease in accordance with the temperature because Nitrogen supposedly does not expand nor contract so much with temperature. As a result the car maintains a somewhat constant pressure throughout the day. In a tropical country like ours where the temp swings from one end of the graph to another in one day this consistency helps a lot.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Skylaw
It is likely that with a cut as deep as you described, your tire was out of round - the belts were probably damaged or stretched.

I fill my tires with helium! Makes for a cloud like ride

Gotta run now, here come the guys in the white jacket with a net

Last edited by rccmerc; 11-22-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Well I have all my tires filled with nitrogen. However, I don't know if I can tell a real difference in the ride. I do notice that there is a consistency in the air pressure. It pretty much stays the same the majority of the time.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by alfa
Just got hold of my pre-owned S320. Since the dealer sold it to me they tried to fix as much as they can. I felt really bad because when i took delivery i felt a very bumpy ride and and a little vibration on the seat, a sort of up down wobbly feeling. This occured in the 10 to 40 km belt and diappeared as i inched up from 60 to higher speeds.

Spent the whole night last night figuring it out. Was supposed to return it to the dealer for a fix but they suggested i try the tire shop first.

When i got there the guy noticed that one wheel was older than the other and had a deep cut in the groove where you could already see the steel threads. As i was afraid of a suspension problem i prayed that it was just the tires and i was ready to change all of them.

The tireman said that the older wheel was probably oblong in shape and was causing the bumpy ride. I changed it and the problem went away. He even suggested, and i took the bait to fill up with Nitrogen air in the tires for a softer ride. It was US$2.00 per wheel so i did it.

Problem solved, no more vibration or shimmy. Dont know if its the placebo effect but ride seems softer.

This is very true. I had 3 of my tires off balance, one severly. The vibration was VERY noticeable and likely amplified due to the ABC suspension. After a tire balance, the ride was smooth as silk. Always check the obvious first....