Hello MBWorld...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S
Hello MBWorld...

Hey gents,

Just wanted to introduce myself to your forum. I'm currently car shopping and came across a few S500/600 for sale that I found very appealing. I've been lurking the last few days to read up and educate myself a bit more on this vehicle.

I do have some questions that I was unable to find answers for (well I got lazy searching )

I do plan on modifying this vehicle, the first issue I've seen from reading some threads is the airmatic (?) suspension. How does aftermarket suspension affect this? Does this come on all vehicles?

For those that have modified their suspension, what is the most common product used?

I will continue to search on my own, but I would appreciate any input from those with experience

I'm currently looking at a 2001 S500 that is for sale locally in excellent condition.

Thank you for any help you all can provide!

Fredy
Old 02-20-2009, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
All W220 have either Airmatic or ABC suspension. Airmatic is pneumatic and ABC is fully active hydraulic. Neither are good candidates for modification. ABC is practically impossible to modify and most calibration is done via software.

All S55, S600 and S65 models come with ABC standard. The other models are Airmatic standard but ABC was an available option. If you want to mess with the suspension, the S-class is not a good choice.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Like Whoover said, its either air or hydraulic. Most of them are air. There is a way of switching to coil but no one has done it and for the 1000 bucks, the cost of doing it, you can just repair usually any problem you have. Also, this is not like other cars with Air suspension. Most cars have air bellows and normal shocks. The S class is actually all one unit that is adjustable on the fly. Ride like a boat in water or ride like a porsche 911. Or, my choice, the middle of the two which is perfect and can be changed instantly and easily while driving.

Modding for ride comfort or firmness is pointless because it can be changed on the fly and modding for reliability I do not think is worth it considering all you get with the s class suspension. The the ability to find the suspension components at reasonable prices in other places besides the dealer make it more affordable but still not cheap to maintain

Last edited by vmystikilv; 02-20-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S
thanks for the responses fellas! very informational as I did not know A THING about these vehicles.

I only figured modification would be needed as I've seen a few images of some very gorgeous looking S', case in point:
http://mymbonline.com/forum/garage.p...y&image_id=548

that's the look I'm going for.

Last edited by jägermeister; 02-20-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Lowering is relatively easy. Depending on how much, the dealer's computer can do some and there are third-party lowering modules that will do more. You can search for the "washer method" but that's asking for trouble.

BTW, if you care about handling, an ABC car is the only way to go. It reduces body roll about 90% and makes the car seem to defy the laws of physics. The AMG models have ABC calibrations that are even more optimized for handling. Until you've entered a tight offramp at 75 MPH in an almost-5000 pound sedan, you don't know what this electro-mechanical marvel can accomplish. Especially in terrorizing unsuspecting passengers.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by whoover
Lowering is relatively easy. Depending on how much, the dealer's computer can do some and there are third-party lowering modules that will do more. You can search for the "washer method" but that's asking for trouble.

BTW, if you care about handling, an ABC car is the only way to go. It reduces body roll about 90% and makes the car seem to defy the laws of physics. The AMG models have ABC calibrations that are even more optimized for handling. Until you've entered a tight offramp at 75 MPH in an almost-5000 pound sedan, you don't know what this electro-mechanical marvel can accomplish. Especially in terrorizing unsuspecting passengers.
while abc may limit body roll, the cars still understeer like a 5000lb car. It may seem like it, but you CANNOT defy the laws of physics.