Wear and tear expenses on S600s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S600
Wear and tear expenses on S600s

So I'm one of the many on here looking for a tidy S600

I plan on getting a decent MB warranty to avoid ABC failure induced heart attacks or the like but am trying to get an idea of wear and tear expenses on these vehicles. Things like brake issues; cost for discs, pads, regularity of change etc. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do much of this myself so would be looking at dealership/independent shop to work on the vehicle.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
S600 items are not hatefully priced. The AMG models seem to have ridiculously priced brake components, but the 600 model is reasonable. Plan about $800 for new brake pads and rotors upfront, and just pads in the rear. Depending on how and where you drive, I'd say anywhere from 20k-50k for pads, and rotors depend on wear, so hard to say. Its a big heavy car, so the brakes do go a bit quicker.

Regular maintenance is pretty standard, air filters, cabin filters, etc. Tranny fluid should be changed at about 50k miles, and fuel filters are every 60k.

You can not get an MB extended warranty unless you are the original owner, which therefore only leaves you with a CPO car, or one that is still under the factory warranty (late 05/06). There are very very very few aftermarket/third party warranty companies that will cover all or any of the ABC system, so keep that in mind.

Coming from a 210 (which I did as well), you will not be shocked at the price of most parts, but suspension and motor stuff gets expensive FAST.

hope that helps.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 CL & S600 designo Espresso's
An extended warranty from MB is a good idea (I have the 100K one for mine), no repair on a w220 is cheap, and the S600 just magnifies the cost on everything, as there are more things, and more complex engine system to maintain. Also, just an FYI, there are some exclusion with the MB ext warranty, it is NOT a true extension of the factory bumper to bumper warranty. For example, it does NOT cover the Audio-Navigation-DVD-Speaker System. I only have 20K on mine and one of the front door speakers has some crackling when played at slightly higher volume, and the CD changer skips VERY easily, to fix these issues is OVER $1000 per my service advisor. I just had the front rotors and and all brake pads replaced for the first time and it is around $800, I had all oil changed and flushed, and it was $1300 for everything. Regardless of which S600 you choose, have your MB service advisor run a service history. See if its been in for service regularly, and that all recommended items were attended to, and not refused; see what, if any, major issues were repaired etc.

Last edited by 300SDLguy; 03-17-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
300: My cd changer skips really easy to... my service advisor claims its an issue with burned cds.

The 600 is going to cost a bit more than the other cars because of engine and features. I don't expect more than $1000 extra per year... but the car is a blast to drive which makes it worth it IMO.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by 300SDLguy
An extended warranty from MB is a good idea (I have the 100K one for mine), no repair on a w220 is cheap, and the S600 just magnifies the cost on everything, as there are more things, and more complex engine system to maintain. Also, just an FYI, there are some exclusion with the MB ext warranty, it is NOT a true extension of the factory bumper to bumper warranty. For example, it does NOT cover the Audio-Navigation-DVD-Speaker System. I only have 20K on mine and one of the front door speakers has some crackling when played at slightly higher volume, and the CD changer skips VERY easily, to fix these issues is OVER $1000 per my service advisor. I just had the front rotors and and all brake pads replaced for the first time and it is around $800, I had all oil changed and flushed, and it was $1300 for everything. Regardless of which S600 you choose, have your MB service advisor run a service history. See if its been in for service regularly, and that all recommended items were attended to, and not refused; see what, if any, major issues were repaired etc.
that's not so bad. i just got a 120k mile service for my '00 infiniti q45 and it cost about the same (1100 for 120k service, 400-ish for belt r&r, and about 750 for front and rear pads and resurfacing)
Old 03-18-2009, 09:15 AM

2004 S600
Thanks for the information

Not as scary as I first thought! I think my problem seems to be getting the thing in the first place! There seems to be a big gap in the market. Plenty of low mileage '05/'06 S500s in the $30k range but for something similar on a S600 is well over $40k (in some cases around $48k!), and the vehicles are few and far between!

Thanks for the warning about the extended warranties from MB not covering everything. My main fears are the ABC and things but with these $100k+ cars you have to research cost of ownership fully. Thanks again