S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Repair driver seat heater

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S500 4MATIC
Repair driver seat heater

Son of a gun, I just noticed my drivers seat heater only works on the lumbar, no heat in the seat. My OEM warranty is over, I am still on an extended warranty, the one that most dealers add to a CPO car which I doubt covers the seat heater. Does anyone have any experience with front seat heaters in a 2005 S500? Am I in for a large repair bill, or is it something I might be able to do myself? The lights on the door controls work, just not a lot of heat. The passenger seat works great. There are no MESSAGES related to seat heating.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by richardliebert
Son of a gun, I just noticed my drivers seat heater only works on the lumbar, no heat in the seat. My OEM warranty is over, I am still on an extended warranty, the one that most dealers add to a CPO car which I doubt covers the seat heater. Does anyone have any experience with front seat heaters in a 2005 S500? Am I in for a large repair bill, or is it something I might be able to do myself? The lights on the door controls work, just not a lot of heat. The passenger seat works great. There are no MESSAGES related to seat heating.
It's the heater. You have to replace the cushion pad. With the diagnostic time (they pretend they don't know it's the heating pad and check all the resistances before they can declare the diagnosis), the teardown, the part and reassembling the seat I bet it will be close to a grand. It's a very common failure on all cars. I've had it done several times on an S55 and my wife's C55 had it done last week. But it's always been on warranty or extended warranty so I don't know the tab.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S500 4MATIC
My regular factory warranty has expired, I'm on the 1 year extended warranty from my MB dealer, the one that comes with a CPO. If I read your comments correctly I am hopeful this repair will be covered.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by richardliebert
My regular factory warranty has expired, I'm on the 1 year extended warranty from my MB dealer, the one that comes with a CPO. If I read your comments correctly I am hopeful this repair will be covered.
It depends on the fine print. If not listed, it's not covered and it may not be listed. Ask your SA.