key programming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 320 CDI
Unhappy key programming

I have a Y2000 S320 CDI
Merc supplied and fitted new ignition 3 years ago and at same time the then owner ordered two keys - sold car, never collected - I bought car 3 months ago, and actually collected keys from UK dealership, unused - but they don't work - brand new ordered with new ignition but not tried for 3 years.
Batteries fine but ignition says "computing data" and does this non-stop.
Merc dealer got another new key programmed this week (at their cost) for track 4 which their computer tells us is empty but still no joy.
Merc main UK says all tracks full
Dealership says 4 tracks empty

Anyone got any ideas???
Old 03-28-2009, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by nolaian
I have a Y2000 S320 CDI
Merc supplied and fitted new ignition 3 years ago and at same time the then owner ordered two keys - sold car, never collected - I bought car 3 months ago, and actually collected keys from UK dealership, unused - but they don't work - brand new ordered with new ignition but not tried for 3 years.
Batteries fine but ignition says "computing data" and does this non-stop.
Merc dealer got another new key programmed this week (at their cost) for track 4 which their computer tells us is empty but still no joy.
Merc main UK says all tracks full
Dealership says 4 tracks empty

Anyone got any ideas???
There are 24 slots (3 rails with 8 tracks each), so something sounds odd. Have you let the EIS work the key completely? There have been posts that say the system might need 90 minutes to enable the key.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...g-new-key.html
Old 03-28-2009, 12:48 PM

S 320 CDI
Originally Posted by whoover
There are 24 slots (3 rails with 8 tracks each), so something sounds odd. Have you let the EIS work the key completely? There have been posts that say the system might need 90 minutes to enable the key.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...g-new-key.html
Merc dealership left one of the keys in the ignition for 2 hours but still said 'computing data' although this new keys actually open/locks the doors and starts the engine but auto gear stick stays in P and will not budge. Other key does nothing.
Merc dealership are baffled - their computer tells them 4 tracks 'not used' - think it is one for Merc Milton Keynes technical but damned if i am going to pay for another EIS - it had one when the keys were ordered - part number MA220 545 08 08 @ £270.83 in Dec' 2005 plus labour, so circa £500.00 now
Old 04-10-2009, 07:16 AM

C320 Avantgarde - 2001 Model
Spare Key programming

I'm not an expert in any form but I was just reading in a copy of the MB "WIS/ASRA" (i.e. the official MB Maintenance DB - bought on net) that it can take anything up to 8.5 hours for a new key to be fully "taught in" (for all functions) for a Model 220 (i.e. S320CDI).
Try leaving it in the ignition overnight.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:42 AM

S 320 CDI
key programming problem

that is amazing - 8.5 hrs! Merc dealership tried a new electronic ignition switch but that still would not work with my two new keys nor the new one Merc supplied and Merc technical are now on the case - the car goes back in for a 4th attempt on Tuesday and i will mention this to them - it has a ring of truth because some functions are working, like two of the keys open/lock car and both start engine but gearbox remains locked - 3rd key does nothing (still) - thanks for advice - i will try leaving a key in car overnight tomorrow and see what happens
Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 AM

S 320 CDI
meant to ask, it only says computing data when the ignition is on - with a petrol car (in the old days) they had an ignition coil which would burn out if the ignition was left on and car not started (apparently) is there any adverse effect of leaving a diesel car's ignition on? (key been in ignition now 2 hours with ignition on and still says computing data)