S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

aftermarket xenons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:21 PM
gac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500 black/java/2011 Escalade (wifes)
aftermarket xenons

I had the newer clear xenons installed on my 02' S500 however I seem to think that they are way too bright where I am blinding people at night who are driving towards me or in front of me. I sometimes get people flicking their highbeams at me Thinking I have my highbeams on ,and when I am in back of someone I notice they adjust their rearview mirror. I don't want to endanger anyone so I was wondering if I could use a bulb not so bright? they are aftermarket I don't know the make of them since the person who installed them now lives in california I can't ask.
thanks
Old 04-05-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL500
Originally Posted by gac
I had the newer clear xenons installed on my 02' S500 however I seem to think that they are way too bright where I am blinding people at night who are driving towards me or in front of me. I sometimes get people flicking their highbeams at me Thinking I have my highbeams on ,and when I am in back of someone I notice they adjust their rearview mirror. I don't want to endanger anyone so I was wondering if I could use a bulb not so bright? they are aftermarket I don't know the make of them since the person who installed them now lives in california I can't ask.
thanks

I had the same problem when I ordered some aftermarket lights for a previous car. Anytime you order projecter headlights, for them the be U.S. legal, they should come with a shield, that covers half the bulb. So the light shows but not the actual filament. In your case, the actual bulb is showing which is the most intense part of the light, so it appears your high beams are on. If you go with a lower wattage bulb it will not change the problem, it will just decrease what you can see.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S500 4Matic
Try to adjust the angle of your headlight. I have aftermarket HID kit and no issue.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 PM
gac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500 black/java/2011 Escalade (wifes)
xenons

thanks for the responses.
adianx, Do you know how to adjust the angle of these headlights? from what I understand the guy that installed them brought my car to a mercedes shop and told me they were put on a computer and adjusted to specification. but who really knows.
thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S500 4Matic
I do believe the aim can be acheived manually as well. Anyone who knows the process, chip in. My HID was installed by myself with warning canceller built in (6000K LUM) and brought my vehicle to MB tech who did manually aim the headlight for me. Now, mine is 03 and has the projector lens, I am not 100% certain 02 had the projector lens. Maybe it is the reflective HID you have?