S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Easy steps to save your car from rust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500
Easy steps to save your car from rust

It was nice sunny day here and i decided to detail my car but it turned into something else when I spotted rust at the bottom of my driver side door..

I went to dealer bought paint touch up kit then sand paper and rust reformer from autozone.

First I pulled off rubber strip under the door and got shocked to see that it was filled with dirt and water..This is what caused the damage because this part tend to get dirt and moisture...Thanks to snow and rain in midwest..

After cleaning the strip and door i used sand paper until i saw the shiny metal part under the rust.

I then applied the rust reformer to protect it from future rust.

After rust reformer driep up I used touch up paint let it dry for half hour and then top of that I applied the clear paint coat came with the kit.

I hope this will work but now I will keep an eye for future damage..
Attached Thumbnails Easy steps to save your car from rust-1.jpg   Easy steps to save your car from rust-2.jpg   Easy steps to save your car from rust-3.jpg   Easy steps to save your car from rust-4.jpg   Easy steps to save your car from rust-5.jpg  

Easy steps to save your car from rust-6.jpg  
Old 04-10-2009, 03:49 PM

06 CLK500, 06 S430 4-Matic Sport
Good job chibenz, How long did the process take you? Also, can you notice the touchup paint from far away? Or is it one of those instances where you can only notice it when you are close up and inspecting?
Old 04-11-2009, 12:36 AM

02 S500
Thanks jovan101, Yea its very common and big problem and you could avoid it easily only if you willing to help yourself. I am surprised no one gave a rat or talked about it as you can see you are the only one who left the comment. See how easy it is, even if you dont want to apply anything to it just cleaning will help too..

The other thing yea its not noticeable unless you are very close or pay extra attention, the good thing that touch up kit comes with clear transparent paint or whatever you want to call it so if you dont want to apply paint just apply clear paint..Its good stuff all you need to tell dealer your vin #.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:36 PM

s500
Car rust under weatherstrip on bottom of doors

I recently noticed this problem on my 2000 s500. I removed the bottom door weatherstrip and the above post was what I needed to now to help minimize the rust damage. Question I have, after the clean up, how do you install the weatherstrips back on? Is there a recommended adhesive or do you just press them back on?