S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

ugh, stupid problem (glovebox stuck shut)

Old 04-26-2009, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
ugh, stupid problem (glovebox stuck shut)

So I pop out the old cabin filters, put the new ones in.

i put the cable back on the latch mechanism properly and seat it without issue.

I'm thinking all is well.

So I put it all back together, shut the glove box, and what do you know, it won't open again.

It's always been a bit of a fight to get this thing open (had to push the button several times, wiggle the box lid, etc. Real pain in the *********.

Now however it seems that no amount of messing with it will cause it to open.

So color me confused. the cable is in properly, and I don't see what could cause the problem aside from a broken button (part 90 in the epc diagram) or somehow the lid is not adjusted properly (I'm pretty sure thats what those plastic screw type things (with rubber surrounds) are on the side of the glovebox.

So the question is, am I going to have to pull the center vents out and go in that way, or is there another option that might be easier (I think removing the nav unit would probably work the best.

thanks for any help you can provide.

worst case, I'll take it to the dealer, but who knows what they'll come up with.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S500 & 2011 Mini JCW
Had the same problem last summer, my car was still under warrenty. So I took it to the dealer and they said they adjusted the cable. They made it sound like it was an easy fix but I don't know how or how long. Works like a charm now.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Oliverk
So I pop out the old cabin filters, put the new ones in.

i put the cable back on the latch mechanism properly and seat it without issue.

I'm thinking all is well.

So I put it all back together, shut the glove box, and what do you know, it won't open again.

It's always been a bit of a fight to get this thing open (had to push the button several times, wiggle the box lid, etc. Real pain in the *********.

Now however it seems that no amount of messing with it will cause it to open.

So color me confused. the cable is in properly, and I don't see what could cause the problem aside from a broken button (part 90 in the epc diagram) or somehow the lid is not adjusted properly (I'm pretty sure thats what those plastic screw type things (with rubber surrounds) are on the side of the glovebox.

So the question is, am I going to have to pull the center vents out and go in that way, or is there another option that might be easier (I think removing the nav unit would probably work the best.

thanks for any help you can provide.

worst case, I'll take it to the dealer, but who knows what they'll come up with.
Hate to reopen such an old thread but I've been dealing with the same issue and wanted to share what I did to fix this seememgly common issue.

I also had to push the button several times to open my glove box door so when I finally got it opened this time,

I took out the four screws in the front bottom and the front top of the glove box. Yours may have the plastic covers on them, just pop off the covers and you will see the phillips head screws.

Once I removed the screws, I wiggled the glove box assy out of the dash.

I notice with the assy in my lap the door worked fine but when I placed it back into position it did not.

There is a white thumbscrew at the end of the cable where the cable attaches to the door latch.

I turned this latch 1/4 turn or so pulling the cable further away from the latch just a little gave it try and PRESTO. when I put it back into position, that small adjustment was enough to do the trick.

Once I reinstalled the glovebox assembly, I also adjusted the door stops which are the two phillips head screws with the rubber grommets on them at the ends of the dor opening. These allow the door to close firm and takes up the play when it shuts. Since the door latch and all of these part are plastic I'd be careful not to have too much tension on the door stops as they will eventually stress the plastic lock. A little movement after the door latches is okay.

This is for those who may encounter this problem in the future.

Nothing is more embarrassing than a cop asking you for proof of insurance and your glove box door won't open..LOL
Old 04-24-2010, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
I have the opposite issue on my cl500...the latch wont shut!

I just used strips of velcro
Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by tusabes
I have the opposite issue on my cl500...the latch wont shut!

I just used strips of velcro
The thumbscrew adjusts the other way also. OR your issue may be the latch assy itself. it is also adustable about 4mm. Also check your door stops they may be too far out for the latch to catch.