S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Help with electrical problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi allroad
Help with electrical problems

Trying to help a buddy fix his 2003 S500.

"Well, it seems to happen only every morning. It appears that the whole system shuts down and using my key to unlock it won’t work. So, I’ve been using the manual key to unlock the driver side door. Immediately after opening the door, the alarm will go off. So, it’s really annoying but even so the car will not start. The ignition is locked – the key will not turn to start up my car. Then after three minutes or so, the alarm will stop and the dash board just turns blank (kind of link the computer system is on a shutdown mode)…This morning though, I tried pressing all the buttons but nothing seems to work except the hazard button. After pressing that button, I was able to start the car! My car is really possessed!

There are no engine problems and it runs good…
Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
It's the EIS, about $500 to fix (part + labor). You can still reuse your old keys if the shop know what to do

Same thing happened to my car last year. It's not that uncommon for the problem to happen.

Originally Posted by dejavuAMG
Trying to help a buddy fix his 2003 S500.

"Well, it seems to happen only every morning. It appears that the whole system shuts down and using my key to unlock it won’t work. So, I’ve been using the manual key to unlock the driver side door. Immediately after opening the door, the alarm will go off. So, it’s really annoying but even so the car will not start. The ignition is locked – the key will not turn to start up my car. Then after three minutes or so, the alarm will stop and the dash board just turns blank (kind of link the computer system is on a shutdown mode)…This morning though, I tried pressing all the buttons but nothing seems to work except the hazard button. After pressing that button, I was able to start the car! My car is really possessed!

There are no engine problems and it runs good…
Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM

mercedez benz s430 4matic
Cool

i think it might be the key becausei drope it in the water and it was doing the same problem that u have. did u droped the key in the water if so if u have a second key try it and see what happens
Old 05-12-2009, 04:32 PM

Audi allroad
Originally Posted by gomdomin
i think it might be the key becausei drope it in the water and it was doing the same problem that u have. did u droped the key in the water if so if u have a second key try it and see what happens
The key is fine, changed the battery and still the same. Even tried a second key, but same problem.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:34 PM

Audi allroad
Originally Posted by zam2000
It's the EIS, about $500 to fix (part + labor). You can still reuse your old keys if the shop know what to do

Same thing happened to my car last year. It's not that uncommon for the problem to happen.
Thanks, will look into that. If you scan the computer, will a fault code indicating the EIS come up?