S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S600 Powerchip tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
S600 Powerchip tune

Over the weekend, I finally got around to getting my ECU upgrade done at Fluid Motor Union. I couldn't pass up the deal they were offering ($1490 for a custom tune.. funny thing was I was one day away of sending my ECU/TCU to Renntech when Mike posted about the Powerchip dyno day in my area).

Jeremy from Powerchip was there and he performed my tune. He is a really nice guy and I felt he was pretty knowledgeable about tuning. First thing I mentioned to him was the fear of my transmission popping and he assured me that he likes to play it safe and that shouldn't happen (my mechanics warned me about tranny's popping back a few years ago). I was reluctant to do the TCU tune as I didn't want my car to drive like a vette everywhere. He agreed and suggested to stay away from it. So I opted to leave the TCU as is.

The setup they had fluid motor union was the best I have ever seen: a big plasma tv displaying dyno figures for everyone to see. We started by having my car dyno'd stock. Numbers came out the same as before (449.8 RWHP, 560 FTLB RWTQ). They were using a dyno dynamics dyno meter. OJ (the owner) told me he has the setup set to most conservative setting, so numbers would not be inflated at all. My stock numbers came in higher than the stock S65 they had a month or so prior. A bunch of mechanics had gathered around to see the dyno and the expressions they had were priceless. Everyone was like goddamn and shaking their heads in awe (these guys are bmw heads and love their bmw's). Parking lot had M3's, 740's, M5's, and a bunch of 911's.

Then, Jeremy proceeded to do his work and we do the first pull and I get 484HP, 640TQ. He tries a second flash and we get same numbers pretty much. Third time we get 488HP, 660TQ (with more low end power). Fourth time and we get 491HP, 660TQ. All of this is coming in at 17-18 lbs boost (my turbo gauge was reading 20 lb). I ask him why not open it 24 lbs and he told me that it will not really help that much as not all pressure is good pressure. He was reluctant to push it any further. He was worried about how it would affect reliability and other issues with marginal gain. Seeing the expression from him, I didn't think he felt safe about pushing it any further so I backed off. My goal was to cross the 500 RWHP mark but I think I might have been pushing my luck to far. I was comparing my car to Treynor's S600 Renntech on dragtimes on a DD 525HP, 640TQ (in the comments he wrote 522HP, 656TQ). His stock dyno was 30HP more than mine which may account for the difference. I wonder if he had a factory freak.

The guys at Fluid Motor Union (OJ and Mike) are a class act. I would strongly recommend anyone looking to get work done in the Chicago area to check them out. I haven't met people so dedicated and customer service orientated in this line of work before. They have a passion for cars and work on the cars like if it were their own. I was having trouble launching the car so I asked OJ if he would come for a ride. He did some power braking hoping to get the tires to stick but no matter what we did the car would lose traction between 1st and 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. He explained to me that it was the crappy tires I have and he suggested upgrading to Nitto's exaltos or 555's for summer time. OJ took the time to explain various things to me that I wasn't aware of before and answer whatever questions I had. He explained that the S600 actually has small turbos (I thought they were big). He also explained that the high boost figure doesn't necessarily translate into large cfm. Jeremy explained that not all cfm is good if its blowing in hot air.

I didn't get much of a time to drive around this weekend, but my initial feeling is there is more power. I feel a tad bit more in lower speeds (0-20mph) and at higher speeds 70+ mph. The wheels really don't spin out when I stomp on it from 45+mph (it has once or twice). I really didn't notice the power difference soo much as mercedes makes the car accelerate really smooth. I am used to the harsh and jarring ride of the bmw, so I sometimes don't know I'm going 120 mph. I sat in the passenger seat while OJ took a couple runs and my neck starting feeling strain in it from not putting my head on the headrest. I remember reading some comments that when you floor it, it will slam your head to the head rest. I don't really have that. I am not sure if that's from the TCU or my car not making enough power.

I would really like to take the time to thank both Power Chip and Fluid Motor Union for their efforts and work.

Pre & Post Dyno @ Fluid Motor Union

Probably 1st Run and Final
Old 08-26-2009, 01:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500 Sport
good post, I think you have to drive it around for a bit so the ECU will adjust. I wonder what would happen if you did sneaky ecu reset hehe
Old 08-26-2009, 03:12 PM

Yeah, I am noticing more power as I drive now. It is amazing how fast I can hit 140.... The car used to have a sweet spot of 80 mph but I noticed its higher now (not sure what yet).
Old 08-26-2009, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Reckless
Yeah, I am noticing more power as I drive now. It is amazing how fast I can hit 140.... The car used to have a sweet spot of 80 mph but I noticed its higher now (not sure what yet).
Hey Reckless:

Okay, seeing that you are from around Chicago, what made you go with these guys over LET

I agree you made SERIOUS gains, and I am jealous

Just curious my friend

Old 08-26-2009, 05:55 PM

Who is LET?

I went with Fluid Motor Union mostly because Jeremy from Powerchip was going to be there and he was somebody who has thorough experience (he has done thousands of TT's). Plus I can't pass a good deal - $1490, I wonder how many people have had a good tune done in that price range. I think it's comparable to a Kleemann or Renntech tune.

Plus, I had the added benefit of having it done in 1 day. I have heard many cases of people having to ship their ecu/tcu's back and forth to get it right. Plus re-dyno'ing it each time. I think this was definitely the best way for me. The amount of money I would have lost in dyno's, shipping, pulling the ecu/tcu out (I'm not a mechanic) - the custom tune was the route for me. I just hope he will be back by the time I get my next V12TT (one is never enough).