S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

another Electrical promblem , geez!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S430
another Electrical promblem , geez!!

Ok so I bought a 2001 S430, everything was going great until today I detailed the car and I noticed that the passenger side window won't work, then I realized that nothing on the passenger side (electrical) works, except the locking with the remote, so I search the forums for the solution, some say it could be the window module, and some suggested to check all the fuses ( which i did) and everything looked fine, then I read a post saying that maybe disconnecting the battery cable could be the solution, so I did then when I plugged it back and started the car, all the messages (faliures) came on, stability control and what not, so I reset it, now the messages are gone, but the center controls where the airmatic is, the emergency lights and lock button, but nothing works, so any ideas on what might the problem be? I'm not having a good day and since there is no check engine light or any messages on the dash I've no idea what could it be.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. anybody knows a good shop or independent mechanic in South florida?
Old 09-21-2009, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Failure of your dashboard buttons to work usually indicates a problem with a SAM (Signal Acquisition Module), a kind of router, located under each seat and under the right rear passenger seat.

First, check fuses again. If that fails, try disconnecting the battery again for about 2 minutes, then reconnecting. Hope it's not a SAM, they're expensive.

After disconnecting the battery you may also need post #14 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...st2216730.html (same info at https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post3682080).

Sorry I don't know the shops in South Florida.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S430
thanks Skylaw,

Now what fuses should I check for? and like I said, this has happened after I disconnected the battery the first time, before then that it was working fine, and any clues on how much that door module is going for?, I'm sure is not cheap, but what the hell thats why we driver Mercedes right? I just wish I could spend the money on something worth the money, upgrades new suspension etc
Old 09-21-2009, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Check your fuse diagram (usually wrapped around a tool in the kit in your spare tire well). If you don't have it, see posts 14 and 15 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...e-chart-2.html (and note the error in the middle box; the row should read F6 through F27, not F16 through F27). Another chart is at post #3 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...e-diagram.html. You'll have to double click that one, save it, then open it in an image browser to read it very well.

I'll let you decipher which fuses based on the indication you see. Pulling the fuse to reset a circuit can also be effective; disconnecting the battery just gets them all at once.

Door control modules run about $600, and SAMs about $800 each. Try the other stuff first. And frankly, I wouldn't commit the money to replace parts like that without a certified MB tech (dealer or independent) diagnosing the problem first.

Last edited by Skylaw; 09-21-2009 at 02:24 PM.