S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S class - how to get the power out best?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 07:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
S class - how to get the power out best?

I have an S55 AMG, 2001. I noticed that depending on where the MPH or RPM's are, it will give more or less of a power response when you push down on the pedal.

Sometimes, it won't react much - other times it really picks up and goes. How can you time this so you know what is going on and when the engine will respond with the full power and thrust? I have not fully figured out yet.

Also..is it normal to have a higher pitched engine whine on the S55 2001? It's NA so there is no supercharger whine..

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Here is another question: in NY state you need to have an inspection done, and can't have more than 1 monitor not ready.

I checked the car with an OBDII and there are 2 monitors not ready - the CAT, and secondary air. Driven it a lot and so far nothing - is there something specific you have to do in order to get these to be ready? Like a certain speed, or certain options in the car on..any insight is appreciated thanks!
Old 11-15-2009, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by rondocap
Here is another question: in NY state you need to have an inspection done, and can't have more than 1 monitor not ready.

I checked the car with an OBDII and there are 2 monitors not ready - the CAT, and secondary air. Driven it a lot and so far nothing - is there something specific you have to do in order to get these to be ready? Like a certain speed, or certain options in the car on..any insight is appreciated thanks!
secondary air will always show not ready as this unit only functions when the car is cold and rarely is on the time the OBD11 system requires for validation. This is why the sniff test do not rquire 100% ready to pass inspections. The same reason you are allowed at least 1 not ready in all states for all cars.

CATS are a different issue. MAke sure they aren;t clogged, and make sure if they are and you are under 80K, or 10 years you have them replaced at the ealer for free.