S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Trunk Auto Open Broken Batt Dead - now what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2009 | 10:07 AM

s500
Trunk Auto Open Broken Batt Dead - now what?

My trunk auto open failed and I heard the hissing noise indicating a line break in the vacuum system. I come back to look at it 2 days later and the battery is dead, the doors won't open but I did get the trunk open with the silver key. Now I am charging the battery but everytime I connect it the alarm goes off and I can't stop it. I am assuming that the pressure will build enough once I install the battery to open the cabin doors?

I am so disappointed that a broken trunk assist has my car totally disabled!
Old 12-05-2009 | 12:11 PM

s500
Just an update. I took apart the latch mechanism and found the culprit is the pneumatic plunger assembly that has blown apart. I am trying to glue it back together because I am sure I can't just buy the actuator. Hope this fixes the problem although the batt is still dead but is on the charger.
Old 12-06-2009 | 07:30 AM

Your batteries days are numbered. You may want to be proactive and replace it before it leaves you stranded. I had the same problem a few weeks back. I ended up buying a battery at Walmart for $65.00!!!! They did charge me wrong for some reason but I wasn't complaining. The battery was priced at $75 with a $10 core charge for a total of $85 but it went the other way for some reason and I only paid the $65, no core charge! Good luck.
Old 12-06-2009 | 05:13 PM

s500
2nd update. I repaired the plunger assembly on the trunk latch and put it all back together. I reconnected the charged up battery and after a minute or two I was back in business! Door locks, trunklid and battery back to normal. I saved a day of dealing with the dealer and saved alot of $ thanks to the info on this forum. Thank you all those that contribute knowledge about these wonderful but at times frustrating and expensive cars! This forum allows me to keep the car that I love.