S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

SWIRL MARKS on PAINT - Obsidian Black vs. Black

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Taurian
I chose black over obsidian because the black is very rich. The obsidian to me is dull and dirty. It's all individual preference, this is only MY opinion.
Yes, black would be great for car obssessed people on this thread (don't get me wrong, I think that's great you guys hand wax that often). But for alot of out there, the low maintenance of metallic black (obsidian black) has much to be desired. Factor in that on an S class (unlike e class, c class, clk, etc), metallic paint is not an extra charge, for most of us obsidian black may be a better choice. Just my two cent.

Also from what I have heard (and I may be and probably am wrong..you guys are the expert), but I was told metallic paint does involve either 1 more layer of paint or thicker clear coating...thus the reason why it is an extra cost on the lower end mercedes...again someone may just be blowing smoke at me.

Finally, i actually do like the look of obsidian over flat black. It looks more rigid as if the panels are tougher constructed or made of steel than flat black which looks more plasticky in appearance (especially with the way cars are more curvy around the edges). Again just my opinion.