S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

check light, Licence plate left light problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S500
check light, Licence plate left light problem

All of a sudden my 2001 S500 is getting error messages on the dash screen. I got a license plate L, R, indication that went away with a restart. I checked the bulbs and they are both lit. Then checked again a few days later and caught one unlit. I started to unscrew the cover to get to the bulb and it lit again. Also got a error message the other day that says third brake light is out, but had my wife check while I was pressing the brake and it's not out. That has only happened once, but the license plate bulb has happened almost daily for a week now. I guess I should still check the bulb for any rust. I'll throw some conductive grease on it too, while in there.

Did a search and it's not a flooded drain in engine bay. That's clean and no wet inside the car on the mats.

A search suggested it could be the retractable braided wire(s) in the right upper corner of the trunk lid. I jiggled and pulled on it and nothing happened. Not much more in searching here on this forum.

One other thing is someone mentioned a recall on the cluster and a ten year extended warranty on it from MB. I'll call the dealer Monday and see if that's the issue.

Any other ideas???