S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Stuck in park solution.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S430
Stuck in park solution.

After returning home with take out last night, I quickly learned that the restaurant did not complete my order. I rush back to the store, somewhat angry for having to take the extra trip, and they fill the remaining items. I jump back into my 2002 Mercedes S430, trying to cool down, only to find that I am stranded in the parking lot. Stuck in park. No amount of pushing, pulling, twisting or other forceful manipulation will make the damn shifter move out of park. I have my wife pick me up and we go home and eat dinner. I get on this website forum and find plenty of information about this apparently common problem. So I suck it up and pay the $125 to have the vehicle towed 2 miles to my house. And I sleep on it. I wake up. It's Sunday. I've got time so I'll try to piece together all the info from this site and fix it myself. And guess what? Success! Granted, I am a pretty handy guy and this project took me only two hours. I documented my progress with pictures and put together this video so everyone else out there with this problem can take a look. Learn and save thousands! (Yes I know the video runs fast, but you are going to want to pause it at each step anyway lol!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsxUFVtdPHk
Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 PM

2002 S430
The offending part

Here's a picture of the offending part:

The vehicle runs fine without this piece, but as an attorney I will warn anyone who chooses not to replace this part that in the event something bad happens because this safety device is missing, you will likely be on the hook for seom serious negligence!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:37 AM

2000 W220
Nice work. Thanks for the visual especially for those who need a step by step. Your work and help is appreciated! Keep it up!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:38 PM

W220
Wow, nice work. Thank you!

My car gets stuck in park, but very rarely. The problem seems to fix itself after ignition is turned off and back on. Do you think my shifter piece is also broken and needs removal before I get stranded somewhere for good?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2011 S550 4matic
just completed this project. I was a little weary about the big job but once i got everything started it was pretty easy.

Last edited by BBALLER; 01-13-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Rolandesq
After returning home with take out last night, I quickly learned that the restaurant did not complete my order. I rush back to the store, somewhat angry for having to take the extra trip, and they fill the remaining items. I jump back into my 2002 Mercedes S430, trying to cool down, only to find that I am stranded in the parking lot. Stuck in park. No amount of pushing, pulling, twisting or other forceful manipulation will make the damn shifter move out of park. I have my wife pick me up and we go home and eat dinner. I get on this website forum and find plenty of information about this apparently common problem. So I suck it up and pay the $125 to have the vehicle towed 2 miles to my house. And I sleep on it. I wake up. It's Sunday. I've got time so I'll try to piece together all the info from this site and fix it myself. And guess what? Success! Granted, I am a pretty handy guy and this project took me only two hours. I documented my progress with pictures and put together this video so everyone else out there with this problem can take a look. Learn and save thousands! (Yes I know the video runs fast, but you are going to want to pause it at each step anyway lol!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsxUFVtdPHk
Roland your video is AWESOME!

This guy is trying to charge $200 for the video , and the repair pieces.. hah we have the video for free
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYylZM3tYNw&NR=1