Car for sale with issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Car for sale with issues

I'm curious if anyone has any insight what's wrong with this car on eBay (and what it would take to fix it). Basic story appears to be it was crashed, totaled, auctioned by insurance, partially fixed, and re-titled as salvage.

Here's the history:

I don't really get how it was in an accident in 2004 (when it's value was probably still close to 6 figures) that caused it to be totaled. Can anyone make sense of this history report? Was it wrecked twice, once in 2004 and again in 2007?

Seller's description:
You are bidding on a vehicle in fully drivable condition, but with a few unresolved issues. Some time ago it was involved in an accident with minor damage to the front as a result (see "before" photo). It only had front bumper cover replaced. Thankfully, the damage was not significant enough to deploy the air bags. This sedan was repaired with all original Mercedes-Benz parts by a licensed shop with extensive body repair experience. It is currently registered in the state of Idaho after passing all necessary tests and inspections. Buyer will have to transfer the registration in his state of residence, which may or may not involve some extra steps compared to transferring ownership of a clean title vehicle...

Issues: SRS indicator on, Front wheels misaligned (bad front tires as a result), Three control modules missing under rear seat (dealer price approx. $1,800), no Nav disc.
Before picture:

After picture:

Any thoughts? Obviously most people would run away, but I'm wondering if it could be a decent ride with a few thousand bucks. The math would have to work given the work needed and the difficulty in reselling a salvage title.

Last edited by saintz; 01-29-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes Benz S500 Designo
If your mechanically inclined, and up for a project. GO FOR IT! But only if its cheap. You could get a real steal and fix the missing problems.

Now, I promise Im not crazy when I say this, but have it dealer inspected (if they will) to find out EXACTLY how much work you'll have to put into it.

Hell, who knows! You could rebuild it and add in some personal taste while you're at it.

<begin the "ACCIDENT?! STAY AWAY!" responses below>
Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
If you take it on you're a much braver man than I.

It's probably stating the obvious but you'll struggle to sell it on.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes Benz S500 Designo
That is, if he'll ever want to sell it!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
that "before" pic and the statement of bad alignment suggests there was serious undercarriage damage.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by saintz
I'm curious if anyone has any insight what's wrong with this car on eBay (and what it would take to fix it). Basic story appears to be it was crashed, totaled, auctioned by insurance, partially fixed, and re-titled as salvage.

I don't really get how it was in an accident in 2004 (when it's value was probably still close to 6 figures) that caused it to be totaled. Can anyone make sense of this history report? Was it wrecked twice, once in 2004 and again in 2007?

Any thoughts? Obviously most people would run away, but I'm wondering if it could be a decent ride with a few thousand bucks. The math would have to work given the work needed and the difficulty in reselling a salvage title.

Nope it was wrecked in 04, the Totaled in 07. This car has seen better days and from the looks of it spent more time bouncing around the midwest than a corn harvester...

Don't try to justify buying it by asking the impossible. No one knows what's wrong with that car, and no one will be able to tell you unless they spend time with it which is what you will need to do. But history doesn't lie, people lie about history.

If it's cheap enough and you want it, buy it. just remember the seller is laying the history out there on a silver platter for you. It's up to you to decide to eat or walk.

BTW: in 2004 the value of that car had nothing to do with the fact that it was wrecked. Are you saying new cars don't get into wrecks? I hope not.. It was totaled in 07 because in 07 that car was mor than likely worth 35% of its retail and the repairs would cost the insurance company too close to their margin so they Totaled, and just paid the then what they decided was the fair market value as it must have been the best solution. That's how that all works.

It looks like someone did some type of repair, tok it to another state got a bonded title, which le to an official title being issued. It's a common game in the "Totaled" car market. So that car would have NEVER been issued a regular title in the state where it was deemed totaled, so it was auctioned and sent to another stae where the rules changed and its business as usual.
I consider these all Junk. But as I said. All her friends are telling you that she's a skank, but somehoe I think you want to date her anyway....LOL

Last edited by my06clk; 01-30-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Thanks, all good comments and points. I have asked the seller for more information to try to determine what's wrong. One line in the ad made something occur to me:
Three control modules missing under rear seat (dealer price approx. $1,800)
They probably took it to the dealer and got a quote for everything that's wrong. I'd like to see that quote. If it says the car needs an alignment and a new ABC pump (could that be one of the missing "control modules") that's very different from saying it needs all new suspension arms because everything is bent and they can't get it to align right. I'm guessing it's the latter, however.

My question regarding the accident dates was this: was it in a second accident in 2006 or 2007? I don't understand why it would be wrecked in 2004 auctioned in 2006, and not registered with a salvage title until 2007, unless it was in a second accident (not listed on the report) in 2006 or 2007. If it was only wrecked once, I don't see why the insurance would wait so long to auction the car.

Regarding totalling the car in 2004, it would have been very hard, because the car would need over 50 grand in repairs to be a total. In 2007, it would be a lot easier. Still, I'm surprised the damage in the picture would be a total in 2007, when the value of the car was probably still in the $40k-$50k range. Must have been a lot of hidden damage, which is looking like the problem.