S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

My front tire is eaten away... (upper control arm)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220
Question My front tire is eaten away... (upper control arm)

I though it was alinment that made my car vibrate and steering wheel go back and forh, but when I went to my indie they refused to do alignment due to worn out upper tie rod. The tire was worn in bad waves on the inside, making the whole car bounce up and down and shake from left to right. Also, the steering wheel would not return smoohly to position 0.

I replaced that tire, the annoyig shakes went away, the wheel is still off center a bit (alignment).

4 days go by and now the car shakes once again!
Even at low speeds, that Is actually when it is most nocible how the front end moves swivels from side to side (I look at the star as aim)

I'm suspecting a wavy tire again. Is this tie rod associated?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01 s500
yes swap both tie rods, get an alignment and see if the new tire is still ok. If u still have problem yer in trouble!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220
At low speeds, I can sEe and feel the car rocking back and forth slightly. As the speed goes up, the rocking motion feels more like slight vibration which comes and goes at highway speeds and almost disappears at speeds above 90/100mph. On highay, the vibration is less evident on turns and more noticeable when rolling straight downhill.

I have the ball joint separator. My concern how to disconnect the inside portion of the upper control arm. What major parts need to come off, do I need to disconnect the shock assy.?

Thank you all for your input.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01 s500
If you swap tie rods you'll need an alignment, have a shop do it all. It should take em a cupla hours to finish