S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

[DIY] W220 plastic seat trim replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430 Lorinser 1989 BMW 635CSi 2008 Honda Odyssey
The part arrived last night. Installed this afternoon. Looks great.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:27 PM

2000 Mercedes Benz S500
what is the exact category/serial # where the plastic seat trim can be found?

Originally Posted by rondocap
There are many people who have experienced the broken plastic trim pieces on the bottom of the driver's seat on W220's. I have an S55 AMG, but they are all pretty much the same for the W220's.

I finally decided to get it fixed. There are actually a few different pieces there, so I took it apart myself before I knew exactly which parts I had to order.

Tools needed:

1 Ratchet, with a Torq 45 (T-45) connection
1 Regular sized Phillips screwdriver
1 Mini phillips screwdriver (This helped in tighter spots)

You can order the parts online from Mercedes, or at your local dealer. This is a diagram of how the seat is put together below:

For me, the part that was most broken was #10. The hinges had completely broken and it was loosely hanging. Part #3 was starting to break apart as well, but it was mostly cosmetic whereas the #10 was structural. The #13 door to the first-aid kit area had broken the little piece that connects it to the car and allows it to swing open, but instead of ordering that I just superglued the little piece back and it was as good as new.

I had to order #10 and #3, about $80 for both with shipping.

This is how mine looked before, in fact the #10 area looked even worse because it had completely come off recently. It was barely hanging on. (The part with the pulse feature)

OK, so here is how I did it:

1.) First, I put the seat very far forward, as that helps you get access. The first thing you want to do is pop up the little plastic piece that goes over the seat belt bolt area. That's #7 on the diagram above for reference. It is not screwed in, so it pops out, just becareful not to break it.

2.) After that's out, you have access to the seat belt bolt. Use the ratchet and T-45 to get it out. It was very easy to do it with the ratchet - although some people have complained it is on very tight.

After the bolt is out, there is one screw that you have to undo with the phillips screwdriver. It's located in the back of #3. I went in the back seat to do this, move the front seat around a bit so you can see it easier. After that screw is out, #3 plastic piece pops out - just once again be careful not to crack anything. It's in there pretty good, so you have to wiggle it out carefully.

3.) With #3 out of the way, you have access to #10, which is where the pulse feature is. Mine was really broken up, but there are 3 phillips screws in total that you need to remove. The first is on the side, the part that was being covered by #3. The other 2 are a bit trickier, you need to remove the first aid box (it pops out as it is on some little hooks) to get to one of them, and to the to the last you need to unscrew it from the bottom, it's near the front part of #10 close to where the black pulse control is.

When removing #10, be careful as the pulse control unit is attached. You can unplug the wire from the back, just pull a little bit. It comes right out.

4.) Now, just replace all of the broken pieces (It may be different for everyone). Make sure to screw it back in the same way you took it all out. The #3 goes back in fairly easy, just make sure to pop it back in place and line it up with the bolt from the seat belt.

All in all, it's not a difficult DIY at all. Just takes a little bit of time, but it looks much better when it isn't cracked it!

I am trying to find the part number to the plastic seat trim replacement, but I do not know which category to search. PLEASE HELP!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:35 PM

2000 Mercedes Benz S500
I checked each of the parts website provided by other members, but I cannot seem to find the category and/or know the part number where the plastic seat trim replacement can be found. Someone PLEASE HELP!
Old 04-04-2015, 08:05 AM

2012 CLS63 AMG
Great post, Rondo

Your write up was perfect, did the job easily due to your work, thanks