S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Check engine light and heavy steering, what could this be?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Check engine light and heavy steering, what could this be?

This week I drove my 2001 S55 about 1500 miles, no problems. Today after I drove 50 miles, parked the car, and came back, I had a few things on:

In the side, the ABS light was on. On the left, the check engine light came on. In the dash, it said drive to workshop and had three screens show: Speedtronic, Brake assit/BAS, and ESP.

The steering also got heavier. The car runs and steers OK, just heavier.

What could it possibly be? I did a few searches, but am not completely sure I have it pinned down. Maybe a speed sensor or something like that? Anyone else had this problem, any idea on cost to fix?

I'm taking it down to get it looked at tomorrow, but just so I have some idea..thanks!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 Mercedes S500
Yikes. With all those systems having problems, the first thing I'd point a finger out would be the battery. Check the age, and output voltage from the + and - battery posts with a multimeter with the car running. These cars like to go bonkers when the batteries get old.

Originally Posted by Skylaw
They may be in the same size group (49) but not the same battery. Because my '05 is showing signs of a weakening battery, I priced those too - at around $289.

BTW - one sign of a weakening battery is strange electronic "glitches" popping up that go away after shutdown and restart, or actuating a switch. While driving on a 400 mile trip recently, I got an "ESP" warning light after turning up the volume on my radio (drawing more power). I stopped, shut down, re-started, and the light went out and stayed out without my touching the ESP switch on the dashboard. Later in the trip, waiting for passengers, I shut down the car, leaving the music on. The volume decreased slightly - not a lot, but noticeably. It came back up when I re-started. Not much doubt - that battery is beginning to go (it is 5 years old and I drive only a few days each week - a battery killer, as you'll be able to tell from the articles below).

The MB battery for the SL is lead-acid, with a silver/calcium coating on the plates. The MB S-Class battery, I am told, is an Absorptive Glass Mat (AGM) design. I don't know if it has spiral-wound plates.

I found http://batterystuff.com/knowledge-ba...=article&id=11 to be helpful in discussing battery technologies. http://batterystuff.com/knowledge-ba...n=article&id=5 gives a quick rundown on AGM vs Gel batteries. This article is also excellent, and explains the considerations in changing from one battery technology to another in your car: http://landiss.com/battery.htm - mainly, be sure your charging system is matched to the battery!

My dealer parts guy assured me that MB batteries are manufactured by MB in Germany. He said, however, that MB uses Interstate brand distributors to store and distribute batteries to MB dealers in the U.S. I believe that's a fable. Johnson Controls manufactures Interstate batteries (in fact, in the U.S. there are only 2 manufacturers - Johnson Controls and Exide - who make all the battery brands sold here). Johnson Controls also wholly owns Interstate, and manufactures batteries under the seller's specifications for other brands. My MB-branded battery is identical in appearance to an Interstate battery with the same CCA rating and size - except it has an MB sticker and part number. I am sure it was made by Johnson Controls for MB - whether in Germany or the U.S. - and is indeed sold to MB dealerships through Interstate Battery distributors. I would not have hesitated to install an Interstate branded battery in my SL. However, the price difference was zip, and MB Roadside Assistance made the whole proposition very attractive.
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...tart-help.html
Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
I took it to get checked out at an indy, I'm still waiting to see what it could be. They had trouble connecting the computer to the car, so it may be a voltage/power drain issue.

I drove 50 miles, and parked the car at a restaurant - before the car was fine, but after I came back to it, I got these error messages. There were passengers in the back, one who likes the fold down vanity mirror - so maybe it was left open and the light drained the battery or affected something!

I'll let you guys know what they find.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:17 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
So I got news of what it was - and it was what I first thought, a right speed sensor. Not too bad, about $200 with labor and parts to fix.

How do these go bad? Is it just time, or can it be something physical like a short in the circuits or maybe even going over a big pot hole?