S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Need Informaton

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00 S500
Need Informaton

O.k as i have stated i will most likely be getting my aunts S500, havent really spent anytime with it but my question is have anybody here changed any components on the stock air suspension to like a universal air suspension part as oppose to dealing with the faulty airmatic on these???... also i am interested in changing the front end of the vehicle to this one in the link but would like to know what S-class was this front end from as i cant find it

Clearly it says S600 but after looking at S600 i saw no such front bumper and hood... i am already aware that i have to also change headlights and get an adapter, just want to know what bumper and hood is this??........ also what exhaust?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8scwgV_A4w
Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 PM

00 S500
is this the front bumper??? if not can a fog light fit in both those holes???
Old 05-14-2010, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 423 Posts
Mercedes
that is a Brabus style bumper kit, there is one for sale on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRABU...item3a5aa546ae

As far as the airmatic...it is much more reliable than people think, if you do some simple things like use a Hella Relay and Arnott replacement struts....and if you want a lowered look like in the video it is very simple to lower the car using washers. Read the thread stuck at the top of this forum.

The car in the video is a s600 in Japan...but dont ever try to drive that low on US roads or you will damage the oil pan, our roads are not so smooth
Old 05-15-2010, 06:22 AM

00 S500
Originally Posted by tusabes
that is a Brabus style bumper kit, there is one for sale on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRABU...item3a5aa546ae

As far as the airmatic...it is much more reliable than people think, if you do some simple things like use a Hella Relay and Arnott replacement struts....and if you want a lowered look like in the video it is very simple to lower the car using washers. Read the thread stuck at the top of this forum.

The car in the video is a s600 in Japan...but dont ever try to drive that low on US roads or you will damage the oil pan, our roads are not so smooth
Thanks mil for the info, I don't plan to drive like that at all times however there are two area on roads here in MD that I can do this lol... with using the adjustable air links will it be hooked up to a swtich where I can raise and lower the car whilt driving???
Old 05-15-2010, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
oh for christs sake.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:41 AM

00 S500
Originally Posted by Oliverk
oh for christs sake.
Oh for christ sake what??? Was I suppose to just automatically know what it is even if I'm new??? If you don't like the fact that I asked a question which I've searched for then you can always just add to the view of this thread and not the reply... that's why its a forum, you look for information...
Old 05-15-2010, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Maxima, many of the readers in this forum frown on modifying their Mercedes. Personally I like the look even though I wouldnt do it to my car as it would affect its drivability.

A forum more supportive for mods and suited to the look you saw in the video is VIP style cars

http://www.vipstylecars.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=20
Old 05-15-2010, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Maxima3
Oh for christ sake what??? Was I suppose to just automatically know what it is even if I'm new??? If you don't like the fact that I asked a question which I've searched for then you can always just add to the view of this thread and not the reply... that's why its a forum, you look for information...
the fact that you want to make what is a probably a nice stock s-class bounce up and down while driving on the road makes me want to vomit, thats what the for christs sake was for.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:29 PM

00 S500
the fact that you want to make what is a probably a nice stock s-class bounce up and down while driving on the road makes me want to vomit, thats what the for christs sake was for.
Bouncing up and down is hydrolics, did you see the car bouncing up and down in the link??? Get ur info together bro... if the car wasn't made to go up and down then don't put air suspension on it, clearly its a feature that is offered why not take advantage of it, if you don't like what I'm saying then just don't reply, sorry I don't have ur "stock style" what do u guys do here just show ur "stock" benz I've seen plenty of them here nothing to talk on the net about a stock benz whooptie do, do u and ill do me... thank you ill make it a point for u not to see my benz...

Last edited by Maxima3; 05-15-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
I don't "show" my mercedes benz. I drive it.

I have no need to raise or lower my vehicle, with the possible exception of snow exceeding 7inches, which is a rare occurrence.

enjoy trying to muck with your suspension.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:35 PM

00 S500
I don't "show" my mercedes benz. I drive it.

I have no need to raise or lower my vehicle, with the possible exception of snow exceeding 7inches, which is a rare occurrence.

enjoy trying to muck with your suspension.
All cool man... you just keep driving ur benz, ill keep driving and showing, same great car at the end of the day wit two completely different styles, guess ppl will like the w220 reguardless weather its stock or not... enjoy...........................
Old 05-15-2010, 06:22 PM

2000 Mercedes Benz S500 Designo
Don't get upset OP, OliverK, as well as many others, don't take well to body kits and lowering the car. At the same time, I wouldn't **** them off either, they are very knowledgeable when it comes to servicing the W220 and other issues.

If I had the cash, I'd mod mine too. But I'd stayed focused on stereo, performance, wheels and tires. Lowering the car to me seems like a risky venture, although plenty have done it, I don't think i could get in and out of my driveway if I did.

Good luck and don't compromise what YOU want because of what others think.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:56 PM

00 S500
Originally Posted by cameraman123
Don't get upset OP, OliverK, as well as many others, don't take well to body kits and lowering the car. At the same time, I wouldn't **** them off either, they are very knowledgeable when it comes to servicing the W220 and other issues.

If I had the cash, I'd mod mine too. But I'd stayed focused on stereo, performance, wheels and tires. Lowering the car to me seems like a risky venture, although plenty have done it, I don't think i could get in and out of my driveway if I did.

Good luck and don't compromise what YOU want because of what others think.
I won't... I understand they seniors I thought they suppose to help not critisize cause I don't have the same style... I'm also a senior at the maxima forum and I can tell u damn near anything about a maxima u wanna know but I don't critisize a noob cause he wants info on nitrous and my goal is turbo... you get what I'm saying??? If u have the info its either you help or not

Last edited by Maxima3; 05-15-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Maxima3,

You'd get along a bit better with the "seniors" if you used standard English (not to do so is inconsiderate of those of us who bothered to learn it, and to our non-U.S. members - of which there are many). Texting usage may work with your contemporaries, but it is inappropriate in any other context.

Second, as you seem aware already, many "seniors" like their cars pretty much stock, believing that MB style and elegance and purpose as a luxury sedan are not improved upon by many of the mods so popular among the younger set. Now, clearly, your car is your own, and we know you can do with it what you like. However, don't expect approval of everything you may do. Some will like it, some will not - and each side of the matter is free to say what they believe. And many believe that a Mercedes is not a Maxima, or to be treated as one. Some of us believe that treatments such as those posted by Gondon at post #1, https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...i-saw-all.html are a horror show - but apparently someone liked them.

You will find the "seniors" willing to help on other issues - malfunctions, problems, and the like, if discourse is kept civil (which yours has been; thanks!).

However, no one has a "right" to a thread in which folks always agree. State, but be prepared to defend, your ideas - but civilly (as the criticisms should also be).

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-17-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:47 PM

00 S500
Its cool, ill just stay to vipstylecars.com with stuff like this, thanks for all the info from everybody else... not a very welcoming forum but I can understand why people would say stuff like this on a forum
Old 05-18-2010, 05:15 PM

00 S500
is there a company who makes replica brabus bumpers???? seems linke the second i post the link somebody bought the front bumper lol
Old 05-18-2010, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
is there a company who makes replica brabus bumpers???? seems linke the second i post the link somebody bought the front bumper lol
There ae a lot of replica replicas out there, you have to stalk ebay sooner or later something shows up.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:18 PM

00 S500
Originally Posted by my06clk
There ae a lot of replica replicas out there, you have to stalk ebay sooner or later something shows up.
oh o.k thanks... not necessarily a specific company???... ill just keep browsing, thanks again
Old 05-18-2010, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Its cool, ill just stay to vipstylecars.com with stuff like this, thanks for all the info from everybody else... not a very welcoming forum but I can understand why people would say stuff like this on a forum
Its unfortunate that the "seniors" who detest mods must make this place unwelcoming to those who do like to mod their w220s. Yes we know, some people like their w220 stock, but let the people who want to mod post about it without the "oh geez" commentary. Is that really necessary?

We all love our w220s, and it may not be your style to airbag it on 22s, but at least be welcoming to those who do. You might even learn something from them.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its unfortunate that the "seniors" who detest mods must make this place unwelcoming to those who do like to mod their w220s. Yes we know, some people like their w220 stock, but let the people who want to mod post about it without the "oh geez" commentary. Is that really necessary?

We all love our w220s, and it may not be your style to airbag it on 22s, but at least be welcoming to those who do. You might even learn something from them.
That might be nice; but the trend I see (much more in other threads than this one) is the new guy posting his mod, often in "texting" abbreviations or worse; a criticism then being voiced by the "senior" (you might be surprised at the ages of some of the "seniors" who oppose the heavy mods); and then the new guy OP coming back with 1) lectures on what the forum is about (to members with thousands of posts); 2) swearing at the person who criticizes - this is almost always initiated by the new guy; 3) demands that the member criticizing say nothing, and orders to stay out of the thread; and 4) in some situations, the OP issues threats (resulting in an immediate ban).

It is this trend, and this sequence, that disturbs me most of all.

Yes, I prefer cars pretty much stock. Yes, as these cars age and depreciate, they are affordable to younger folks with different tastes than the "seniors" and they have the right to alter them. Yes, many newer members have a great deal to offer the forum - and share their experience so that others following the "mod" route can benefit by it. They (as I see you often do) share their experience in many non-mod areas as well. I would not like to see them leave the forum. In my view, they are (and should be) welcome here. However, as a result of criticism, some have even recognized that their initial thoughts were a bit over the top.

Some, however, approach the forum with a sense of entitlement and a very dismissive (and at least equally offensive) attitude toward the 'seniors." It's not the one-way street that I perceive you and some others may believe it is, gauging from posts defending modders in other threads.

The folks who "instruct" the members who criticize just to ignore the posts, forget that they could do the same thing themselves concerning the criticism. Amazingly, many who forget this start their threads with "hey guys, whadda u think?" or something similar - then get angry when they are told what some think. Tough rocks. It is a FORUM. It is for exchange of ideas (a broader concept than the "exchange of information" so often cited). It should be kept civil, but there is no requirement that all responders agree.

One might also note that in trade, a heavily modded car will be worth significantly less than one in mint condition. That is true regardless of the cost of the mods; indeed, it is often recommended that a modded car be returned to original condition prior to trade or selling. When more of them are modded, the rate of depreciation for the W220 as a whole will accelerate - making the average value of our class less than might be the case otherwise. Yes, it's just one factor, but it is a factor - and it affects all owners.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-18-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
I didnt notice OP doing anything out of line in his initial posts, then to hear "oh for christs sake" , out of the blue, is VERY unwelcoming to new members.

We are very well aware that some members here detest modding their w220, but must they make it known in every thread and "poo poo" on anyone asking about mods?

This forum would be a better place if we just let the people wanting to discuss mods discuss them without negative commentary from a small faction of seniors (maybe less than 5-10 members), since we all stand to learn something from the discussions, even if we like our Benzes stock, or close to it.

Its a bit hypocritical that we discuss updating/upgrading, which is a form of modding...the AMG forums are full of performance mods, custom lighter wheels etc...the C class forums are full of HID and LED lighting mods, etc. So even the "purists" here tend to do little things to improve their cars...but if some people like suspension drops, they get chastized. I dont get it.

If the goal is to keep this forum a little clique of 5-10 seniors who prefer stock w220s thats cool, but personally I feel we are all better served by welcoming everyone, and discussing mod ideas without criticism. Nobody is forcing anyone to do the same thing to their car, and if Maxima wants a slammed VIP negative camber look, more power to him! Fatmike has a similar setup in the w215 forum and nobody gives him the guff that exists in the w220 forum.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If the goal is to keep this forum a little clique of 5-10 seniors who prefer stock w220s thats cool
Oh, yes - those 5 or 10 seniors spend their time swapping PMs planning how to keep the forum a closed clique.

Come on, tusabes. That statement is beneath you.

You are "aware" that some detest the modding because the members who do make their feelings known - exercising their right to do so. It is a right equal to that of the modders voicing their beliefs.

And it's pretty tough to compare the CL-class, which has a very "sporty" look to it from its inception, to the luxury sedan approach of the W220. Once again, it's illustrative of just not "getting it."

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-19-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:49 AM

2000 Mercedes Benz S500 Designo
Originally Posted by tusabes;4080598If the goal is to keep this forum a little clique of 5-10 seniors who prefer stock w220s thats cool, [B
but personally I feel we are all better served by welcoming everyone, and discussing mod ideas without criticism.[/B] Nobody is forcing anyone to do the same thing to their car, and if Maxima wants a slammed VIP negative camber look, more power to him! Fatmike has a similar setup in the w215 forum and nobody gives him the guff that exists in the w220 forum.

I do too but good luck on any internet forum that isn't "family friendly" and heavily patrolled by moderators.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:31 PM

00 S500
Originally Posted by Skylaw
That might be nice; but the trend I see (much more in other threads than this one) is the new guy posting his mod, often in "texting" abbreviations or worse; a criticism then being voiced by the "senior" (you might be surprised at the ages of some of the "seniors" who oppose the heavy mods); and then the new guy OP coming back with 1) lectures on what the forum is about (to members with thousands of posts); 2) swearing at the person who criticizes - this is almost always initiated by the new guy; 3) demands that the member criticizing say nothing, and orders to stay out of the thread; and 4) in some situations, the OP issues threats (resulting in an immediate ban).

It is this trend, and this sequence, that disturbs me most of all.

Yes, I prefer cars pretty much stock. Yes, as these cars age and depreciate, they are affordable to younger folks with different tastes than the "seniors" and they have the right to alter them. Yes, many newer members have a great deal to offer the forum - and share their experience so that others following the "mod" route can benefit by it. They (as I see you often do) share their experience in many non-mod areas as well. I would not like to see them leave the forum. In my view, they are (and should be) welcome here. However, as a result of criticism, some have even recognized that their initial thoughts were a bit over the top.

Some, however, approach the forum with a sense of entitlement and a very dismissive (and at least equally offensive) attitude toward the 'seniors." It's not the one-way street that I perceive you and some others may believe it is, gauging from posts defending modders in other threads.

The folks who "instruct" the members who criticize just to ignore the posts, forget that they could do the same thing themselves concerning the criticism. Amazingly, many who forget this start their threads with "hey guys, whadda u think?" or something similar - then get angry when they are told what some think. Tough rocks. It is a FORUM. It is for exchange of ideas (a broader concept than the "exchange of information" so often cited). It should be kept civil, but there is no requirement that all responders agree.

One might also note that in trade, a heavily modded car will be worth significantly less than one in mint condition. That is true regardless of the cost of the mods; indeed, it is often recommended that a modded car be returned to original condition prior to trade or selling. When more of them are modded, the rate of depreciation for the W220 as a whole will accelerate - making the average value of our class less than might be the case otherwise. Yes, it's just one factor, but it is a factor - and it affects all owners.
not to continue an argument with you or anything but this is 2010 and this is the internet, just like i wont find "family friendly" you wont find perfect english on a forum at all times, so what i use txt lingo, "LMMFAO" what does it matter to the topic??? sorry sir but i will try to make my typing PG90... i do understand about the "ppl" from overseas and learning english... and for talking on my post count, lemme prove to you im no noob

Grand_hustle17
02 GLE

Posts: 10,533 - just cause i choose to join in 2010 doesnt means i dont understand how things work... and while a lot of these posts may be whoring because of how much fun and friendly the maxima forum is, i can tell you now that more than 5000 of my post was actually helping people with problems rather than critisizing, which is more than your total post count since 04... ive been phoned from members from almost every state in the US of A discussing problems and meeting up with a lot so again i do understand forums, and i belive your just critising me because its not your personal preference

I didnt notice OP doing anything out of line in his initial posts, then to hear "oh for christs sake" , out of the blue, is VERY unwelcoming to new members.

We are very well aware that some members here detest modding their w220, but must they make it known in every thread and "poo poo" on anyone asking about mods?

This forum would be a better place if we just let the people wanting to discuss mods discuss them without negative commentary from a small faction of seniors (maybe less than 5-10 members), since we all stand to learn something from the discussions, even if we like our Benzes stock, or close to it.

Its a bit hypocritical that we discuss updating/upgrading, which is a form of modding...the AMG forums are full of performance mods, custom lighter wheels etc...the C class forums are full of HID and LED lighting mods, etc. So even the "purists" here tend to do little things to improve their cars...but if some people like suspension drops, they get chastized. I dont get it.

If the goal is to keep this forum a little clique of 5-10 seniors who prefer stock w220s thats cool, but personally I feel we are all better served by welcoming everyone, and discussing mod ideas without criticism. Nobody is forcing anyone to do the same thing to their car, and if Maxima wants a slammed VIP negative camber look, more power to him! Fatmike has a similar setup in the w215 forum and nobody gives him the guff that exists in the w220 forum.
thank you very much, all im saying

Last edited by Maxima3; 05-19-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
since tusabes seems to be shooting in my direction, perhaps I'll explain.

I don't hate all mods on Mercedes Benzes. I don't get people who do performance modifications to sedate luxury sedans (especially loud exhausts), but at least I can appreciate it because they actually improve something noticeable and usable about the car.

Appearance mods I don't care for. Specifically things like 22 inch rims or hydraulics or airbags. They degrade performance, offer basically nothing in terms of improving the driving experience, and tend to make the car look cheap and cheesy. If someone wants a nice set of 19" rims, fine. 22s"? not a chance.

It seems all the new posters are into doing this stuff. I get sick of questions like, "Can I get 22s on my 220, or I want to add a replica brabus body kit and wing spoiler to my 2000 S430."

1. its in the archives so searching works well
2. I don't care for the mods.

While I may say "oh for christs sake" in this thread, if the same poster asks a legitimate mechanical question asking for help (in a well written and generally legible format), I'll be the first to help.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Informaton