S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Problem with suspension- '00 S500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 Mercedes S500
Problem with suspension- '00 S500

So I've been meaning to sell my car for a while, but my love for it wouldn't allow me to. The other night I drove over a piece of tire on the highway. When I pulled in to my home i noticed a weird sound coming from the engine. Over the next few days I thought I noticed my car sitting lower than usual (bear in mind I installed a RB tech lowering kit). Now my car is so low that it's not drivable as the tire keeps hitting the fender. Here are some pictures. Someone please tell me I have hope other than spending thousands on a car I already lost out so much on..
Attached Thumbnails Problem with suspension- '00 S500-img_2916.jpg   Problem with suspension- '00 S500-img_2917.jpg  
Old 07-06-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 ///AMG, 2007 E350
Must have damaged your AirMatic system and the car is unable to maintain proper height level, hate when that happens.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:36 PM

2000 Mercedes S500
Yea it isn't doing anything when I unlock the car or even start it. (As opposed to it raising like it normally should) Any idea what part I'll have to replace? Thanks
Old 07-06-2010, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by ArMaNi S500
So I've been meaning to sell my car for a while, but my love for it wouldn't allow me to. The other night I drove over a piece of tire on the highway. When I pulled in to my home i noticed a weird sound coming from the engine.
If you heard a sound from the engine compartment after you shut the car off, that was the airmatic pump continually running.

If thats what happened, your pump is dead. Arnott sells replacements. You also need to change the relay, as that is the most common cause of a pump sticking on.... but in your case, since you drove over something there is also chance you destroyed some other part of the system too, causing the air to leak and pump to constantly run.

If the noise was heard after the car was off, get the new pump and relay. That should get your car back up again.....But if you notice the pump constantly running, disconnect battery and have the whole system checked for other damage/air leakage or else you will burn out the new pump too
Old 07-07-2010, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Considering your description, I would check lines from the airmatic pump before replacing any struts. You probably do need a new pump now, but your struts may be OK.

On the other hand, if the "piece of tire" you hit was of significant thickness (a whole tire thick), you may have blown the strut.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500 Silver, Range Rover HSE Black
dix hills

My money is on one or more airlines that were dislodged when you ran over the debris. Take off the front passenger side wheel and see there are any poly lines hanging down (not connected) to the valve block and pump for the air system. Easy fix if so. Also visually check your struts while front wheel is off to see if the strut bag is torn or more likely ripped open and the system will not hold any air. I highly recommend ordering the parts from Arnott or Rover Renovations and finding a local independent mechanic to replace them if that his the case. Won't be too costly and you'll be back on the road. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Chin up!

Old 07-13-2010, 05:05 PM

2000 Mercedes S500
Thanks to everyone for the advice. But I had my car towed to a local shop that specializes in German cars and I was told it needs a new compression tank, a new strut repair kit, and 2 new front struts. The grand total came to a whopping $5,700!! I'm honestly fuming right now because the car itself, even in good working condition, would probably only fetch about $10-11K. I'm apparently all out of luck and hope. I really don't know what else I can do here. I was wondering if it'd be possible to raise the car just enough so that it's driveable? (I had it lowered using RB tech's kit) Or I was also wondering if I'd be able to get an extended warranty plan where they'd cover something like this. Thank you to those in advance for offering me some great advice. I really appreciate it...
Old 07-14-2010, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Originally Posted by ArMaNi S500
Thanks to everyone for the advice. But I had my car towed to a local shop that specializes in German cars and I was told it needs a new compression tank, a new strut repair kit, and 2 new front struts. The grand total came to a whopping $5,700!! I'm honestly fuming right now because the car itself, even in good working condition, would probably only fetch about $10-11K. I'm apparently all out of luck and hope. I really don't know what else I can do here. I was wondering if it'd be possible to raise the car just enough so that it's driveable? (I had it lowered using RB tech's kit) Or I was also wondering if I'd be able to get an extended warranty plan where they'd cover something like this. Thank you to those in advance for offering me some great advice. I really appreciate it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Air-R...item19b3eba69b
Old 07-14-2010, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
you can get 2 new front struts under $1000 at Arnott. The compression tank was linked above. Labor should be under $1000
Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Not only should you investigate the Arnott option, jump on that tank if it fits your car.

Last: You struck an object in the roadway that did not belong there, causing this damage. Will your auto insurance policy cover it?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
theres a few tanks on ebay and there all from a w220 (that one is also found it as i was looking for something else)
Old 08-12-2010, 01:14 PM

2000 Mercedes S500
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Not only should you investigate the Arnott option, jump on that tank if it fits your car.

Last: You struck an object in the roadway that did not belong there, causing this damage. Will your auto insurance policy cover it?
I just wanted to follow up with everyone and show gratitude towards all for their input. But more so than anyone else I'd like to thank Sky Law for suggesting that I go through my insurance company when I didn't even think that would be an option. Turns out my insurance company (Progressive) did honor the damages BUT only because the car was deemed 'totaled'. Being that the air suspension alone was about $6k and the fenders were pushed out, I was given the full 'clean trade-in' value based on NADA's numbers. After a few days of the claim I was issued a check. So my problem is now gone, as with the car. Thanks again for everything.

Cheers