S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

s430 airmatic help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w220
Question s430 airmatic help!

hey everyone i'm fairly new to this forum and new to mercedes in general. i have the option to pick up an 01 s430 for a fairyly descent price w/ one KNOWN problem, something is wrong with the airmatic suspension. as of right now, the chassis is sitting on the wheels, i have no idea whether it's the compressor, struts, or anything in between. and the owner seems to be as mechanically inclined as i am because i can't get any information as to what caused/might have caused the problem.

so my questions are: is it worth it to pick this car up? and if i do, is it a bad idea to try to go UAS on this car? or is it a better idea to replace with O.E. parts (arnott)? i like the idea of being on UAS because i'm planning on being slammed but will it be an issue for the mercedes computer? for example, will it show any type of maintenance light?

thanks in advance for the help!
Old 07-08-2010, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
budget 3-4k for the repair . if the price of the car is too high with that added in, pass. If you are ok spending that plus the purchase price of the car, go for it.

If it ends up turning out to be cheaper consider it good luck.

If all 4 struts are down its most likely a compressor/relay issue, very unlikely all struts will fail
Old 07-08-2010, 01:27 AM

ml55amg
Originally Posted by tusabes
budget 3-4k for the repair . if the price of the car is too high with that added in, pass. If you are ok spending that plus the purchase price of the car, go for it.

If it ends up turning out to be cheaper consider it good luck.

If all 4 struts are down its most likely a compressor/relay issue, very unlikely all struts will fail
Old 07-08-2010, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 Mercedes S500
Odds are it's got a leaking strut or bad compressor. Fire the car up and see if the car tries/runs compressor to raise the car up. Struts are cheap enough now on these cars to where replacing a strut or two isn't really a huge deal. Pump is not really that high as well.

Yeah you can slam these things bro. Don't ask me how they effect the life of the airsprings, though. Check out http://www.stanceworks.com/. They have a few pics of slammed w220s there.

Post up some pics if you get it!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 PM

w220
thanks for all the info guys, i've called several local mod shops and none of them had a positive answer for aftermarket UAS on the w220.. so the only real option is for me to replace w/ oem parts and go w/ renntek?

i'll have to talk to the owner of the car a little more to see if we can come to an agreed price and i'll post pictures of the car and of progress as soon as i get it.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
you can fix the airmatic, then just use lowering links or washers to drop it. there are writeups and DIYs here in this site

the lowering modules are expensive and only needed if you want to raise/lower it
Old 07-09-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 Mercedes S500
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-drop-car.html