S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

I may have figured out the cause for my rough idle: Climate control?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
I may have figured out the cause for my rough idle: Climate control?

So I was looking into a rough idle I've been having this summer. I am up to 140k miles, and I changed my spark plugs about 20k miles ago but never my wires, so I thought maybe the wires were causing the rough idle.

By accident, this is what I discovered today: First, the rough engine only happens at idle, can be either in park or in drive with the car fully stopped. It's most "intense" after coming from driving and stopping, like at a light.

So, I had my AC/climate control on. (It was on low if that matters.) I turned it off to hear the engine better, and the rough idle immediately decreased! I believe it decreased to what should be normal for the car, or at least very close to the engine idling noise.

To double check, I turned the AC/climate control back on, and immediately the engine idles rougher, like something is working harder.

So...any idea as to what this could be? I assume it's not normal for the AC in hot weather to make more noise from the engine, correct? So could it mean some type of fan or AC component is starting to go bad? Any ideas? Can I completely take out the bad wires idea?

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 S500
air mass meter or accelerator pedal assembly.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
Hi. Same thing is happening to me all of a sudden. I figured that it happens when the climate control is on and I keep it on low. My car completely cuts off though it usually starts right back up. I have changed the Air Flow Mass but I haven't changed the pedal assembly. How would the pedal assembly cause a rough idle and cutoff?

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
When I changed my pedal assembly, it would cutoff when I accelerate and I'd have to restart the car to get it rolling again, and the RPMs would not be stable.