Extended Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S430
Question Extended Warranty Question

Hi everyone

I am just about to buy a 2004 S430 and given the fact that I was supposed to pick it up on Friday which did not happen because of stuck in park issue. (dealer performed inspection and next day tried to take it to car wash when all of a sudden could not shift from park) I know that most of you would consider a search for another benz since there is already an issue even before it has left the lot, but for some reason I still want it. Vehicle is xtra clean has 78K and has a good history of being serviced in dealership. Besides that it also looks great, no damage, interior is immaculate, that is why I still want it so bad. Prior to purchase I did some research on common problems, where one of which is stuck in park issue, so I kind of expected this turn of events, thanks god it did not happen after I left the lot. Obviously since this vehicle is 6 years old I am pretty sure that there will be other expensive issues with it.

So my question is: Given the fact that the vehicle is 2004 and has 78K on it, is it still possible to purchase extended warranty for it from benz or other legit company. What are my options? and What should I do?

I would appreciate your help guys, and if anyone has any advise or opinion in regards to the car itself and the fact that there is an issue already, I would greatly appreciate your comments and criticism.

Thank you All
Old 08-08-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Extended warranty is always a good idea on these cars.

The stuck in park thing is a common issue and not something I'd use as an excuse to avoid buying the car. I'm sure even amazingly well maintained W220s get the SIP issue. It's a cheap and easy fix...That said, S430s, and even S500s are a dime a dozen. If you have a slight inkling hold out for another vehicle, and always, ALWAYS, get a pre-purchase inspection, preferably by a Mercedes dealer, if not an independent Mercedes mechanic.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
call factoryplans.com and see if they will still issue a warranty...they used to take benzes up to 80k miles on the daimlerchrysler bumper to bumper warranty

please report back
Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
After a Benz is over 5 or 6 years of age, I have found that there is very little available that is worth the cost. Chrysler used to offer excellent plans but has recently stopped doing so because I imagine they weren't making any money. I have a '02 CL with only 37k miles on it and the dealer offered me an aftermarket plan for about $11000 for 3 years if you can imagine that. I personally would would look for a newer model and get the MB extended warranty (car must be bought thru dealer). Whatever you decide, be sure you understand the policy as to what is and what is not covered. There are plans out there for example that do not cover the ABC system which is probably the weakest and most expensive part of the car to repair. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:13 AM

2004 S430
Thank you very much for your suggestions and advise. Just picked up my vehicle and very happy with it. In terms of warranty I was not able to find anything that worth attention. But anyway thanks a lot for your help.

As for mechanic who fixed my stuck in park issue (dealership sends their cars to him) will receive a visit from me tomorrow. You have to hear this....

What happened is actually something that is beyond belief. So, I pick up my car from dealer at 8pm, it was dark so I did not really make a note of things. Following morning first thing I notice is that shifter knob is of beige color and lighter wood trim.....(black on black) and I am sure that before it was matching colors...hmmmmm, then I noticed that the passenger visor is not closed properly. Tried pushing it up to close properly with no luck only to find out later that mirror and lid is missing... were there before too. Next thing I know TPM is unavailable message pops up.. even thought before it was working just fine. Well guess what........ !!!! LOL all I can say.....

Anyhow I will probably post this mechanics info here so people will be aware of this wise a.....s

As for recovering what is mine, it was just a matter of call to the dealer who sold me the car. Sounded like they well aware of such issues.

Anyhow besides those two misfortunes everything else is as expected and even better. Great vehicle !!!!!!

Thank you all again.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 AM

2014 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by semenov419
Thank you very much for your suggestions and advise. Just picked up my vehicle and very happy with it. In terms of warranty I was not able to find anything that worth attention. But anyway thanks a lot for your help.

As for mechanic who fixed my stuck in park issue (dealership sends their cars to him) will receive a visit from me tomorrow. You have to hear this....

What happened is actually something that is beyond belief. So, I pick up my car from dealer at 8pm, it was dark so I did not really make a note of things. Following morning first thing I notice is that shifter knob is of beige color and lighter wood trim.....(black on black) and I am sure that before it was matching colors...hmmmmm, then I noticed that the passenger visor is not closed properly. Tried pushing it up to close properly with no luck only to find out later that mirror and lid is missing... were there before too. Next thing I know TPM is unavailable message pops up.. even thought before it was working just fine. Well guess what........ !!!! LOL all I can say.....

Anyhow I will probably post this mechanics info here so people will be aware of this wise a.....s

As for recovering what is mine, it was just a matter of call to the dealer who sold me the car. Sounded like they well aware of such issues.

Anyhow besides those two misfortunes everything else is as expected and even better. Great vehicle !!!!!!

Thank you all again.
Mercedes will not offer a extended warranty for any vehicle that is six years or older. you are happy now, but you will need to get something to offset expense of repair, because they will arise with the 2000 S430, ask me I know, I purchased one from a Mercedes dealership one owner car beautiful performs great, but small stuffs lights, cluster recall, etc, will cost you without aftermarket warranty. I would stay away from that mechanic your dealer used wish you a pleasant experience with your choice
Old 08-15-2010, 12:56 AM

S500
chk

yeah also check the cup holder
door handle led lights - at least 06 had them not sure about 04
window's auto up and down works properly - mind still works on and off after 4 trips to two different dealers

have fun