2004 S430 Wierd Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S430
2004 S430 Wierd Transmission Problem

Hi guys.

Recently I have ran in to the issue with my 2004 S430 transmission shifting rough. When I start the car and begin to drive cold, transmission is acting up in a weird way. First of all it would up shift somewhat rough and when you release gas pedal vehicle would slow down as if brakes were applied. When I slow down from 25 miles an hour to about 5-3 miles an hour, deceleration is being followed by a hard kick as if car has been kicked in the back. This happen only once and when you drive about a block or more it stops and does not happen again. I noticed that this happens only when car has not been driven for some time and is in cold state. Once it worms up, this issue disappears. I have also tried warming up the engine to at least 60 degrees and then begin driving, but it does not do anything and it seems that you need to drive some distance before kickback issue disappears. So far I get mostly a single kick, since I need to slow down once for the stop sign which is about 300 feet away from my driveway, but there was an occasion that slowing down 3 times in that distance produced three kicks and then stopped.

Any word of advise on the issue and possible solution?

Thank you very much.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by semenov419
Hi guys.

Recently I have ran in to the issue with my 2004 S430 transmission shifting rough. When I start the car and begin to drive cold, transmission is acting up in a weird way. First of all it would up shift somewhat rough and when you release gas pedal vehicle would slow down as if brakes were applied. h.
When my 2000 s430 is cold and speed is low, I also notice it feels as if the brakes are applied when gas is released. But I dont have the rough shifts...anyone know what this is?
Old 08-28-2010, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430
tranny problem

These trannys are very susectible to shift problems if the fluid is even a little bit low. I took mine to the local MB dealer and put it on the Star analyzer to see what was up. The sensor boot was slowly leaking and it needed 2 quarts of fluid. For $188 they replaced boot, filled it up and completely fixed the problem. Whaever you do, don't drive it too much with a shift problem or you will wind up with a really expensive overhaul. Good luck.