S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S55 AMG or S600?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ///MB
Well depending if the S500 had the sport package and ABC, the ride would be different. Both the S55 and S600 come with 18 inch wheels, which alone will produce a little harder ride. Also, the ABC suspension is tighter than the standard airmatic on the S430/500s. I suppose if you wanted the most plush ride, get a non-sport package standard airmatic S500. But, you'll also have to sacrifice handling and performance.
The S500 I test drove didn't have the Sports Package and was standard Airmatic. While I understand that bigger rims and lower profile tires give a harsher ride, why is Airmatic more plush than ABC? Isn't ABC supposed to be the "new and improved" suspension?

About sacrificing handling and performance, that's OK. I really just want a comfortable ride.

2011 BMW 750 Individual, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Arctic Edition
Karma,

I went back and read all your posts. I think you feel 100% the way I do. The S500 w/o the sport package is the most plush ride.

When I first looked at the S Class, I was convinced I wanted the S55. When I drove the S500 after, I couldn't believe how much I liked it. (I am famous for always picking the most expensive model of anything I buy!!!) I was shocked that the S500 filled all voids. But when I took the Sport Package off the order, that's when I realized that I made the right choice. I don't care about the numbers on the back of the car, I chose the S500 for the interior, options, comfort, and safety. If I wanted high performance, I would head down to my local Exotic car shop and pick up another sports car.

Add the wood package to the car, it makes a big difference for $800.

When you make up your mind, let me know. I'll make a CD for your maiden voyage!

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Taurian
When you make up your mind, let me know. I'll make a CD for your maiden voyage!
Do you spin on your computer?
Old 04-23-2003, 09:16 PM

I use the computer to store MP3's and to receive new music before it's released. For the most part, I focus on vinyl.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Karma
The S500 I test drove didn't have the Sports Package and was standard Airmatic. While I understand that bigger rims and lower profile tires give a harsher ride, why is Airmatic more plush than ABC? Isn't ABC supposed to be the "new and improved" suspension?

About sacrificing handling and performance, that's OK. I really just want a comfortable ride.

With the airmatic suspension, the car is riding on air, that is why it is smoother. A car with ABC, essentially rides on coil springs. Still, ABC is more modern because it is an active suspension that responds to the driving situation, especially when the car is being pushed hard (in corners, lets say) the car has considerably less body roll when pushed hard, while not being as harsh-riding as this lack of body roll would suggest when not pushed. With the ABC, you get the best [that you can get} of both these world - a dual personality suspension, if you will. However, on comfort alone, and bump absorbtion, Airmatic is better. In handling, it cannot even come close to ABC, as it is shown with the E55 AMG, with its handling being knocked down by all testers so far, whilw ABC comes very close to Airmatic, and sometimes even surpasses it in the better feel of the road (some drivers do not like the disconnected feel of airmatic).
From my experience with the CL, the ABc does not like single bumps on the road, and you feel the bump quite distinctly. But the car composes itself well after that and the body movements become immediately composed, whereas in the normal Airmatic S Class, I noticed that on similar bumps, the car will keep wobbling vertically until it settles down. And it is not to say that the Airmatic does not feel the bumps at all.
The truth is that you will never need more S-Class than a 500 can give you. The question is: will you WANT more? Just like someone else said in here, I prefer to have the top model of everything. WHen I can afford, I find it hard to settle for the S500, when I can spend 30% more and get an S600.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:29 AM
Almost a Member!

OK, I'm 90% sure that I'll be choosing the S500. After reading everyone's opinion, it seems that for "ultimate" comfort (what I'm looking for) an S500 with Airmatic suspension without the Sports Package is the way to go. Even S600 owner MercManiac admits that an S430/500 with Airmatic suspension is smoother than his beast. I guess I'll get the S500 now and wait until they remodel the S class to get the S600. Who knows, maybe the next S600 will keep its superb handling while at the same time give Airmatic-like comfort. Plus I read that the next S600 will average about 27 MPG!!! 27 MPG on a V12...wow...

Thanks again for all your input.

Benznut - It was me with the spending problem!

Karma - I agree w/ Benznut...the S500 will give you more than you NEED. I too may upgrade when the new body style is released. For now, I am PUMPED to take delivery of an S500.

Good luck!

Taurian
Old 04-24-2003, 05:07 PM

2004 S 600
Karma...

Want the hottest S in town????? Get the Espresso Designo option for your S500.....it's the best looking Designo there is, IMO.

Also, ask your dealer for some new pull off S600 standard wheels that they'll swap at no charge.....make it part of your purchase negotiation.

Good luck
Old 04-24-2003, 07:32 PM
Almost a Member!

MercManiac,

Since the S600 wheels are 18", wouldn't that make my ride harsher? Also, maybe you can answer this question, why is it that the S600 rides smoother than the S55 AMG when they both have the same size wheels and ABC suspension? Out of the S600, S55 AMG, and S500, the S500 (Airmatic) and S600 were the smoothest ride yet they have different size rims and different supsensions. What's your take on that? And about the Expresso Designo, it does look very classy.

Taurian,

I looked at the tracklists on your CD's and they remind me of a little bit of my favorite DJ, DJ Tiesto. What do you think of him?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 S500 Brilliant Silver, 1990 BMW 735iL, 1971 Pontiac Trans Am 455 HO, 1976 Pontiac Formula 400
I second MercManiac's recommendation on the wheels. They look great, are rare, lightweight and the S500 still rides very well with them if you keep the tire pressures 32/36 or lower. (MB recommends 28/29 for normal, non-high speed driving).
The car handles so much better with these 18" wheels, with very little ride comfort tradeoff.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:19 PM

Are you saying that I can get S600 rims on my S500 for no additional charge?

Karma...Tiesto is good. I go to Ibiza every summer (spent the first week of my honeymoon there this past summer before heading to the Amalfi coast), and I saw him live. Do you have Sasha...Live in Ibiza? Also, check out 2 new rising DJ's...DJ Vibe and Will Grant.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Karma
[B]MercManiac,

... why is it that the S600 rides smoother than the S55 AMG when they both have the same size wheels and ABC suspension? Out of the S600, S55 AMG, and S500, the S500 (Airmatic) and S600 were the smoothest ride yet they have different size rims and different supsensions. ...
Taurian,

The coil springs are about 10% stiffer in the S55 than in the S600.
The ride with ABC and 18s can be very comfortable, if the roads are relatively well-maintained.
Also, if the S600 did not have sport package, I believe the tire compound is slightly different. The wheels themselves are a bit narrower in the S600, although the tires measure about the same. This disproportion, however, contributes in a relatively relaxed flex for the tires, which may contribute to the slightly better ride. Hope this helps, although I am no automotive engineer. (Where is my father when you need him?)

By the way, I may be soon able to try some of the new beastly engines available on the S Class; I am headed in Europe for business, and may swing home for a weekend and try what my father's business has whipped up so far.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:50 AM

You didn't offend anyone as much as made something out of yourself.
Don't get me wrong, I see where you are coming off. A top-of-the-line is better than the run of the mill. I for one am saving to get the SL600, even though I can get the 500 with much less stress.
However, to say that some people's choices are a piece of crap... Buddy, an S Class is an S Class, whether it is a 600 or a 320. Granted, it will react a bit differently when you push the pedal, but for 99% of the time, the S500 is more than up to the challenge. Can you imagine a waste greater than using 500 or more horsepower in stop and go traffic? Even from a conscientous stand-point, I cannot justify that kind of misuse of assets.
Granted, I would rather have a lesser car with the 500 engine (say, an E class) than have an S with less than a V12. That is why I will get exactly that for a daily driver when I get the SL600.
But not everyone thinks like me, or you.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by FC Corp
I find it very hard to believe these people who claim they have chosen a S430 or S500 over the S600 because they are better cars.
If you read the posts carefully, no one said that the S430/500 are better cars than the S600. What I'd like to know is do people buy a car because they want that car or because of the "status" that particular car can give them? Right now I'm looking for the smoothest riding S class because I've always loved Mercedes automobiles and the S class is the most comfortable one. Why I'd choose an S500 over an S600 is because after driving both I found them to be equal in comfort. Power isn't priority to me so why would I pay about 20K extra for what I'm not looking for? That may not be the case for you but it is for me. Also, an S600 owner ADMITTED that his S600 didn't ride as smooth as an S500 with Airmatic suspension without the Sports Package. This is really about personal taste not about who can afford what and lie about it. If a Toyota gave me the same smooth ride as an S class I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I don't care about "status" as that would be superficial as I feel you are. I mean to say that you didn't even test-drive the S600 before picking it up shows that you only care about image...about looking good in the "best" Mercedes. Again, this is about preference not pride.

Let me just give you an example to see if you'll understand that better...

Let's say I'm looking for a nice hooker to be my oral angel and the two I have to choose from are your wife/girlfriend and your sister. Your wife/girlfriend is the ultimate best in bedroom performance (most expensive) and your sister, while not as good, has the best set of lips (less expensive because of lesser performance). Do I go for your wife/girlfriend and brag about the glory of having spent money on the "best" hooker but not get the best of what I REALLY want or do I spend less money on your sister (cheaper hooker) and get EXACTLY what I want? You see, it's all about preference not pride.

People who make such comparisons and purchase the lesser car do so only because they cannot afford the greater car, period. It's a lame attempt at justifying their purchase rather than being truthful and saying they would love to have the 600 but just cannot afford it at this time.
How do you know that people compare car trims and choose the lesser car because they cannot afford the "greater" one? How do you know they really want that "greater" car but cannot afford it? It's funny that everyone here who has been responding don't think that way. I personally think that YOU would do what you just described if you couldn't afford your S600. But as Benznut said, not everyone thinks like you.

Anyway, I just wanted to respond because I personally feel that you're a little on the idiotic side. I'm not offended or anything but I am amused...amused at how some people are so into status...status that their means of transportation gives them. It's a pity how some lives are so empty...

P.S.
If I offended anyone, oh well, such is life.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:10 AM

2004 S 600
Karma........

Well said. BTW, most people in Europe buy the S320 and are quite happy with the performance of the car!!

Crankin swaped his wheels for the S600 stocks......I'd recc. that you ask the dealer for 2001-2002 S600 pull-offs as they are 17" and have H rated MXV 4 Michelins which will give you a great ride and a great look.

Ride is relative......the Airmatic "is" a smoother ride over the ABC. The ABC does give an incredible ride for such a high performance car such as the 55 and 600.....especially considering the 600 with the MayBach upgrade is an engine approaching 700hp and over 900 ft/lb of torque. Ride in a Modena 360, Porsche GT2, etc. for seven hours in comparison to the 600 and if the ultra sports car drivers say they are not fatigued....I'll call bull.

That being said, I'll always opt for the 600....not for status but because I'm a car nut and am willing to pay the extra for the "Flagship" combination of engine and technologies. BTW, 99% of the "babes" and 95% of men have no idea what the difference is between the S430 and S600.....they just see an S series. Driving the 600 is actually the most subtle "non showing off" of all the high end cars.

Karma....btw, the S500 will hold its value much better than the 600 or 55. Go for the Espresso!!!

Last edited by MercManiac; 04-25-2003 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:21 AM

Karma,

You are awesome. That was an incredible comparison! If you can swing it, Designo is awesome.

Putting the 600 rims on the 500 is an option, but I kind of like the CL rims on the 2003 S500 that come stock. I want to keep the appearance stock. 99% of all the other S classes on Long Island have the Sport Package...I'll stand out enough w/o adding rims!
Old 04-26-2003, 04:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by MercManiac
Ride is relative......the Airmatic "is" a smoother ride over the ABC. The ABC does give an incredible ride for such a high performance car such as the 55 and 600...
You're so correct. I came back from another test-drive today and realized that the S500 Airmatic "is" smoother than the S55 AMG and S600 because the engine is less powerful. I guess what I mean is the S55 AMG and S600 NEED to have ABC because of their great prowess. Anyway, I've made up my mind and will go with the S55 AMG (I can feel Benznut cringe over this decision). I'm not a performance buff but I took this tight turn that I take everyday with all three cars at high speed and the S55 AMG embraced it the best. The S600 took it well but felt a little heavy and the S500 Airmatic just couldn't handle it as well. About having the smoothest ride, though the S55 AMG is not as smooth as its counterparts, it handles my change of moods the best, something the S500 just doesn't handle happily.

MercManiac, I understand that you buy your cars because you enjoy them. My previous post was really to people like FC Corp who seem to buy top-of-the-line just for the sake of having top-of-the-line. The S600 is a great car though not for me...yet. I'm thinking of waiting until they remodel it as the 27 MPG planned sounds so attractive (my current car is an 01 VW Passat so I somewhat care about gas mileage).

Anyway, my last test-drive is today and I'm placing my order after that (yes, with Designo, Taurian). I'll post up pictures when I get the car.

Thank you for all opinions.

04 - S600 Sport
My previous post was really to people like FC Corp who seem to buy top-of-the-line just for the sake of having top-of-the-line.
No now don't start putting words in my mouth. I buy top of the line as it is superior and offers so much more. While vibrations and bumps can be felt more or less in any vehicle, it's those extra nice trimmings and gadgets which make the ride so much more pleasurable.

After sitting and playing in that Maybach, I am now forced to reevaluate my decision on the next car I purchase. While I am not sure how it handles, I am sure the interior would well justify any driving issues.

I will say that I am dissapointed that MB has not already rolled out a dvd base command system. TV Tuner. rear monitors, dvd player, etc.

Good choice on the S55, if you can though, get the wood trim or even designo package.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:37 PM

Karma.

Karma, I am glad you finally made up your mind. that was the most important thing, as it started the discussion.
I am a little surprised, because you were looking for smoothness, and went for the "roughest" of the choices. I doubt the S55 will meet your 27mpg, at least not yet. Or was it only subject to the S600 (a bit discriminating, aren't we? LOL).
Great choice overall, if it really fulfils your inner craving. After all, is an S Class ever a wrong choice?!!
Which designo are you getting? As far as FC said, I believe the wood trim is standard, except it will be missing, conspicuously, at the steering wheel. I hope the designo will feature a leather dash, although I have noticed that the facelifted Ses have a considerably better standard material than the first ones.
After all, you showed FC Corp that you can indeed afford a top-of-the-line, although S600 it was not meant to be.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:15 AM

04 - S600 Sport
Re: Karma.

[i]After all, you showed FC Corp that you can indeed afford a top-of-the-line, although S600 it was not meant to be. [/B]
Oh brother........ whatever... btw.. the 55 is not THE top of the line.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:34 AM
Almost a Member!

Benznut,

I knew you'd say something! I did initially go for the smoothest ride but my last test drive brought out the crazier side of me. My first three test drives consisted of straight roads and a couple of hills (where my salesman directed me) but my last test drive were the roads that I take everyday to go to work and school. For the first time ever I took those tight turns at high speeds and boy was I excited! The S55 felt the nicest on those corners, then the S600 (to me it seconded the S55 because it felt a little heavier), and finally the S500. I realized that I always said I wasn't a performance buff simply because I don't have a car that is capable of giving me that excitement (2001 VW Passat 1.8T 170HP Manual). After that test drive I knew I wanted a high performance car and, suddenly, the S55 didn't ride that harshly anymore. But no matter how "harsh" it is, it beats the hell out of my Passat.

About gas mileage, I was referring to the next S class. I read that the new S600 (2005/2006) will have more power and still average 27 MPG! I know that to most of you gas mileage doesn't matter since you're all so successful but I'm just starting out (I mean I drive a Passat!). I'm not like you, FC Corp, MercManiac, Taurian, DrewSclass, and Treynor...not at that level of excellence yet. I'm a 21 year old IT at IBM with one more year to go until I get my Engineering degree. I've been in the cash flow business for six months and just now am able to afford an S class. $10K/month isn't much to you guys since you guys are company owners and all but to me it's the most money I've ever made in my life (and that $10K/month is only on GOOD months). And honestly, the S55 is good enough for me at the moment. Maybe after 3 or 4 years I'll grow into Mercedes-Benz automobiles and really feel a difference between the S55 and the S600...enough of a difference to push me to get the top-of-the-line model. Oh and about the Designo, I went with Graphite (sorry MercManiac but the Expresso didn't appeal to me as much).

FC Corp,

Talking about top-of-the-line, instead of looking at the Maybach why not wait for the S65 AMG? The Maybach is such an old man's car and I read an article stating that it didn't handle well. It also said that it's more appreciated as a backseat passenger. Plus the price tag is out of this world...

04 - S600 Sport
FC Corp,Talking about top-of-the-line, instead of looking at the Maybach why not wait for the S65 AMG? The Maybach is such an old man's car and I read an article stating that it didn't handle well. It also said that it's more appreciated as a backseat passenger. Plus the price tag is out of this world...
Thanks for the heads up. I don't think the S65 would compare to the interior of the Maybach just as the 600 does not. I would agree, from the outside the Maybach appears to be an old mans car but from the inside, wow. An old man would never be able to figure out all the controls! In fact, my nine year old son sat in the back seat, right away pressed the correct controls to recline the seat. No, not the same controls as are on the S Class, though they are there. The guy showing us the car said my son was the first person to figure it out on their own. Heck, I would have gone for the other controls outlining the seats as well! Kids are so smart! The car is super clean. I did not realize the power of this car until I sat in one. You can sit in a Bentley and not experience the sensation. So many solid gadgets. How I wish MB would incorporate that craftsmanship into the 600. It is a backseat car. They figure the handling etc., is not that big of an issue since the owner would be sitting in that back seat and some ole geezer (no offense to anyone) would be driving it around. I posted in the other forum with the pics that there is even a button you pull above you in the back that closes the door.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:02 AM

About the maybach, it has about 1.5 times the weight of the S Class, and its springs are 10 percent softer. Therefore, the handling is not what you would expect of, say, S600. However, like FC Corp said, there is no match for the interior, at least in craftsmanship. I too had the chance to sit in one, and I was impressed. The 57 has all you would need, even in terms of backseat room. I doubt one will be missing the 62 from that perspective.
However, the Maybach is almost completely inspired from the S Class, however, its interior especially, although one of the best in the business, should have taken some more of the modernism of the S Class, and incorporate into it that level of craftsmanship. The Maybach's interior styling looks a generation or two behind. I understand they are trying to compete with the Rolls and their sense of tradition (read here that lack of "modernism I was talking about), but they are missing whole generations in terms of frame of reference (the predecessor of current Maybach was built in the "30s), and It does not reallly compete well.
The styling of the Maybach sort of shows the fact that MB had it locked as a Mercedes car until shortly before introduction, where they decided to launch it as a separate brand. A lot would have been different had they planned that farther ahead.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:53 AM

the S55 is good enough for me at the moment.
The S55 is a ****ing kick *** car.