Trunk will not stay open on a slight Incline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S500V
Trunk will not stay open on a slight Incline

Hi Folks,

Just recently I have had a problem with my trunk not staying open. My driveway has a slight incline, and after about 30 seconds it will start to close slowly. Have parted my scalp on more then one occasion.

I am guessing it is the gas struts. Are they a DIY task? What is the part number for the struts?

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Stan
Old 11-17-2010, 01:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Trunk closes by itself

I have had the same problem with my 2001 s600. The mechanism for the trunk closing on my car is located in the trunk to the rear of the battery. Remove the lining on the right side of the trunk and this will expose the mechanism and pump. You can observe how the system works. I have not isolated the problem as yet, as it could be the struts, pressue lines or the pump itself. I could not find any leaks externally in the system. I am going to play more with it when I have the time.
You need to remove the strip along the outer edge of the trunk. This is the strip that is 3-4 inches wide and surrounds the lower catch of the latch. The connectors are a two piece set-up. They are the small rectangular parts located along the strip. Use a very small screw driver to remove the top part, and you will see how they work. There are also 3-4 connectors that hold the lining as well. Look around and you will find them. They are round and you have to take the center part out first as well. Send me a pm if you need more help.