Brilliant!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Brilliant!

Despite all the crap that gets slung and all the money we spend, is there really a more enjoyable car than an S-Class?

I was a bit wound up from work this week, and to most people relaxing would mean a visit to the couch some tv. For me it was a 100 mile drive. I didn't speed excessively, I didn't go anywhere specific, and I didn't push the car in any way.

It was just so calming to listen to some music in the quiet of the cabin, have the heated seats and climate control on to stay nice and warm in the 34 degree temps, and enjoy the supremely comfortable seats.

Enough power to easily cruise at triple digit speeds, smooth ride, light steering, etc.

I usually only drive the car about 3 miles a day so I don't get to experience this much. Every time I take a longer trip I think about just how great this car is.

And even after 2.5 years of ownership, there is not another car I would want, at almost any price...including a 221 S550.

Not to mention the 220 is still one of the best looking sedans on the road.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Despite all the crap that gets slung and all the money we spend, is there really a more enjoyable car than an S-Class?

I was a bit wound up from work this week, and to most people relaxing would mean a visit to the couch some tv. For me it was a 100 mile drive. I didn't speed excessively, I didn't go anywhere specific, and I didn't push the car in any way.

It was just so calming to listen to some music in the quiet of the cabin, have the heated seats and climate control on to stay nice and warm in the 34 degree temps, and enjoy the supremely comfortable seats.

Enough power to easily cruise at triple digit speeds, smooth ride, light steering, etc.

I usually only drive the car about 3 miles a day so I don't get to experience this much. Every time I take a longer trip I think about just how great this car is.

And even after 2.5 years of ownership, there is not another car I would want, at almost any price...including a 221 S550.

Not to mention the 220 is still one of the best looking sedans on the road.
, Whats nuts is that the 600's make our 500's look like hoopties. Their ride is so much more refined/smoother and quieter it's ridiculous.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
i feel the same way, even in my lowly s430... it cruises effortlessly at 100+mph while my jag and other cars strain , bounce, and make terrible wind noise at those speeds
Old 11-21-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
I know exactly what you mean...On Wednesday I have a 250 mile drive up tackling the Washington/Baltimore and Philadelphia I-95 traffic on one of the busiest travel days of the year and rather ridiculously I'm looking forward to it because of the 600. I must be crazy!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:24 PM

2001 S430
<3 our s-klasse!!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Oliver, I know exactly what you mean. I've done the same many times before.

In fact, my s-class is my daily driver, and even after driving for hundreds of miles a week, I may just drive without a "destination" to relax.

Put some of my favorite music on, turn on the heated or ventilated seats and massage, and just cruise, enjoying the s-class. Sometimes for some entertainment, it does not hurt to make the V8 come alive a bit, too. (I have an S55, so it can be quite lively!)
Old 11-22-2010, 06:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by rondocap
Oliver, I know exactly what you mean. I've done the same many times before.

In fact, my s-class is my daily driver, and even after driving for hundreds of miles a week, I may just drive without a "destination" to relax.

Put some of my favorite music on, turn on the heated or ventilated seats and massage, and just cruise, enjoying the s-class. Sometimes for some entertainment, it does not hurt to make the V8 come alive a bit, too. (I have an S55, so it can be quite lively!)
My S55 is my daily driver, and I commute 20 miles each way in the crap NoVa traffic. I leave for work as early as possible so I can enjoy a "non-stop flight", and sometimes I'm lucky enough to get 15 miles of open road (sorry, no "kill stories" or triple digits where I live, the po-po will eat you alive). Then at lunch I take it out again, sometimes just 2 or 3 spirited miles, sometimes 20 just cruising around. I can't stop driving the car, and it's costing me a fortune!

I want an S600 for the better, quieter, more luxurious ride. All I need is a second mortgage to pay for the gas.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S430
The W220 is the best!!.. I understand and agree with what all of you say. I wish I could only have a taste of driving an S600. But I am completly happy with my S430, it has never given me any problems(knock on wood haha). Our cars, I believe, are the best S-Class' that have ever come out of Stuttgart, I was really dissapointed when I stepped into a W221. I am glad to own a W220 and I drive mine everyday both calmly and spiritedly and it's always loves to go fast hehe.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 S500
I know what you guys are talking about. I don't use mines as a daily driver but every night when i get ready to leave home for work i look at the S-Class and i have to force myself not to drive it. It is very addictive. Before i had the S-Class i would go driving in the country areas of GA to release some of the stress, without any specific location in mind. Now that i have the S-Class it makes the drive even more enjoyable and stress free. As you glide through the trees on the open road you seem to leave everything behind. If it becomes to addictive they may out law it.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:54 PM

2001 S430
im addicted to that sport button, back roads or semi ruff roads = all sport off / sport..

then on freeways/on ramp/oh theres a car creeping behind?? = very sport mode / 100% throttle.

=)