S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Airmatic quandary... help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s500
Airmatic quandary... help!

Something tells me there is a simple solution - if I can simply direst this question to the right person:

Back story: A few weeks ago the airmatic suspension on my 2000 S500 stated acting up as the left side (front and rear) began to "sag". After a few days, the front left was completely down making the car undrivable.

Long story short, the front left strutt was shot (no longer holding air) and I replaced it with an Arnott rebuilt strutt.

After that, the suspension worked fine except for some odd, uneven levels on the individual wheels... mostly too high rather than low... it never seemed to to sync, but it rode fine and I was back on the road.

Now, a week after that, the whole car is riding fine but every morning the entire car is sitting all the way down (all four tires to the wheel wells).

I start the car. The suspension pumps up. The car drives well all day. Same situation in the morning with all four wheels all the way down.

Please advise!? What do you think?

My specific question is: What would cause ALL FOUR STRUTTS to lose air over night?

Question two: If it is an air leak issue - is the entire system under pressure over night? Or, just the strutts idependently? If it's the entire system under pressure... what part of this system is most likely to leak that could affect all four strutts?

Is there some kind of "master cylinder" or valve assembly in this system that commonly leaks

Is it possible that this is a computer issue?

Does the relay have anything to do with that? The compressor seems to be working fine.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED, thanks!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
The Valve Block where all the air passes through.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500 Silver, Range Rover HSE Black
Suspension Issue

Suggest you start it up, air up the system, remove the passenger front wheel and housing to expose the valve block....and begin spraying every poly line from valve block area to at least the front struts with very soapy water from a sprayer. Any air leaks are obvious with bubbling as the air escapes.

Find the leak and you have an easy fix. Order some poly line and replace it (simple actually).

Keep us posted.