Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
ABC strut issue

Okay guys, I might have a problem here.

I have my S600 in storage for our lovely winter here in Pittsburgh. Anyway, I went to start her the other night, and after looking around the car I noticed the left front fender was sitting WAY too low.

As soon as I started her up, it came right back up to ride height,

The car sat for about 3 weeks.

Is it normal for them to leak down?

I never noticed this issue last year, so my first thought was/is that I might be having the dreaded ABC strut failure. Although I do not remember how long in-between start ups I let her sit last year.

Anybody else have this issue from storage?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
unfortunately, this is the early symptoms of ABC valve block, imho.
mine did this for a while, and it usually went down very slowly...probably over a 2-4 days period. however, one day, the red light will go on.
i've heard some people say this is repairable and perhaps worth doing a flush, but not sure.
if not, something is probably clogging the block and thus it's not sealing completely.
recently i've heard they say re-manufactured blocks.
that said, it's very expensive as after the block, it requires a full flush, followed by rodeo up/down svc.
PL
Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Yea it does sound like a valve block. I would try the rodeo and flush first. If not it gets a bit expensive.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Thanks guys

I am not to worried about price as I have a CPO car

Down side, I am guessing that they will reset my ride height, as I did have it lowered by Eurocharged via star.

Oh well, better to be riding high, than not riding at all.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Update

Okay, I just came from my dealership today, but with good news. I filled out all the paperwork for the rental and then SA and the mechanic came out to talk with me.

According to both of them, it is common for both the ABC and airmatic's to leak down over a few weeks of storage. Especially one side only. After a lengthy talk, they suggested I save my money, as I was willing to pay for a fluid flush.

Again, according to them, the valve blocks on the ABC cars are metal, which makes since as they operate around 3000 psi. And that they can leak down during extended periods of rest.

Their point of interest was that IF the car does not pop back up upon starting, or if it happens over just a few days, then YES there is trouble.

On an interesting point, they do NOT recommend changing the ABC fluid, unless there was a leak, or some other work required.

Final result after a quick scan, nothing to worry about.

I just hope they are correct and I am not going to be looking for a strut, valve block, or pump soon
Old 04-07-2011, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Update

Well I met with the original owner yesterday to have some drinks. I asked him if it ever sagged on him, and sure enough he said it would over a period of two weeks. Since this is exactly what is happening to me, I feel relieved that nothing has broke, or NO new symptoms.

the dealer ship also gave me a print out of common issues, and it stated that it is NORMAL for the ABC equipped cars to sag over long periods of time.

Bottom line, I do not feel anything is hurt.

It was a nice time with the original owner, who I feel 100% NEVER beat on her. He thought I was NUTS for road racing such a big car and then laughed his *** off when I told him the quarter mile times
Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
After a week of sitting, the vast majority of them will start to drop. My '02 CL500 started doing so after about 15K miles and it is the same left front. I've had it checked by 2 different stealers several times over the years and they all say it is normal. MB put out a bulletin to this effect some years ago. Dropping after a day or 2, however, is another story and this would indicate problems, probably a valve.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
The valves indeed have metal/metal seals and thus it is possible for the fluid to leak out over extended periods of time. Also the fluid contracts during the winter and this could cause it to leak back into the system.

No troubles at all!

IF the car starts doing this more often, then I would recommend a flush of the ABC hydraulic oil.