S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Comand NTG1 stopped working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-class W220
Comand NTG1 stopped working

Comand system stopped working in my S-class W220 (2005). I have Head Unit NTG1 made by Siemens (first DVD based system). After switching on, the initial screen appears (MB star), then after about 5 seconds the screen shows some horizontal lines for next few seconds and than goes into strange pattern screen and freezes. Nothing works after that. No radio, no satnav… none of the buttons works. Only ON/OFF. It may be a coincident, but it happened after I tried to upgrades satnav maps from the DVD downloaded from the Net. Upgrade was not successful, the Comand says “wrong DVD version”, so I ejected the dvd from the satnav unit in the boot. After this everything was still working OK. DVD, radio... It stopped working next morning. I’m thinking about some possibilities : operating software of the Comand became corrupted, MOST loop broken or hardware failure. Can anybody here kindly advice me what could I do before I spend hundreds with MB dealership? I heard there are some service CDs (tools) available from MB to upload operating software to the Comand unit, but which one would be for my model ? I will greatly appreciate any inputs from experienced members. Cheers
ps How to attach image to the post?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:15 AM

S-class W220
I tried to attach jpg file which shows Comand screens, but I'm not sure if this has uploaded...
Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 AM

S-class W220
Here should be a file with Comand screen sequence
Attached Thumbnails Comand NTG1 stopped working-screen-3-stages.jpg