S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Headlights flashing after locking the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S-500 4matic blk/blk
Headlights flashing after locking the car

The headlights and tailights on my 2003 S500 start flashing sometimes after I lock the doors with the remote. This happens ocasionnaly, about 4-5 times in the last month. There is no alarm horn though.
If I unlock the doors then lock them again, the problem goes away.

That left me concerned that it could drain the battery if one day I will lock the car without looking back.

Does anybody have an idea what could be causing it?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S600 (V220.176)
Have you checked if the car is properly locked? Check open Windows and open doors. Did you leave a keyless go sensor inside the car?

It should flash the indicator lights only. Are the indicator bulbs ok?

Maybe you set the feature "keep headlights on for xx minutes after locking" and the battery is too low? In that case the car would not leave the headlights on; it could blink. The latter is a hunch.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 PM

2003 S-500 4matic blk/blk
The doors and windows looked properly locked from the outside. Like I mentionned above, unlocking and relocking again with the remote resolves the issue.

That car didnt come with keyless go.

The indicator lights are flashing fine. It has happened just on few occasions where they kept flashing on and on. I dont know how long that would have lasted, though.

I am suspecting that it could be the alarm since I read somewhere that the alarm has its own battery, and this one could be down. That would then explain why the horn is not audible. However there seems to be no additional battery according to the manual.

Anyway I am just guessing at this point, since I am not a mechanic.

Originally Posted by Jerry-
Have you checked if the car is properly locked? Check open Windows and open doors. Did you leave a keyless go sensor inside the car?

It should flash the indicator lights only. Are the indicator bulbs ok?

Maybe you set the feature "keep headlights on for xx minutes after locking" and the battery is too low? In that case the car would not leave the headlights on; it could blink. The latter is a hunch.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:43 PM

2006 CL600, 2006 SL65
hello,

1. check the auxiliary battery (i don't know where is it, but i think the car has it, since i disconnect the main battery and the alarm still goes on with flashing lights).

2. check the rear SAM unit (right side, under the rear seat), since i have had the same symptoms you are describing when i had my car flooded (and all water went to that rear SAM and the fusebox).

good luck
Old 11-19-2012, 12:06 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz S-500
I just had the problem happen to me and see below for what I did to temporary fix.

- Turn off the car
- Open your door
- Press down on the lock switch on the console panel to lock all doors but yours
- Get out of your car and close the door
- Point the remote directly to the sensor on your door handle
- Press the lock button on your remote

Last edited by Gaddi_Father; 11-19-2012 at 01:43 PM.