S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Water in grill by windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s500
Water in grill by windshield Wipers

I noted that my AC was blowing hard but no air seemed to be coming out. I figured I might have some leaves blocking the air flow. Well I noticed when I looked under the hood that the grill located in front of the passenger dash had some standing water in it. How do you remove the Grill to clean it out and determine if there is blockage. Is the Carbon Filter another way to clean this area. Please advise. It is getting hotter down here in North Carolina. Dean
Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
I had to break the grill off to remove it, there is a small drain hole at the bottom that gets plugged up. It is cleared very easily once you get to it.

Some people just stick a thin philips screwdriver or chopstick through the grille mesh and open the hole that way.

Mine was so full of water that it started leaking into the passenger compartment... if you dont remove the water immediately it will start leaking into your car and can damage electronics.

See
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...s-clean-3.html
Old 04-12-2011, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
tusabes gave you the link; there is no need to break the grille out to unplug the hole, however.

Using the link he gave you - and more in the imbedded links in the Water in Car section under "Body" at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...tart-here.html - you can unplug the blockage. You might also reach under the air intake (beneath the grille) to be sure the rubber drain valve (a hose about 4" long) isn't folded in half, like mine was a few years ago.

tusabes is absolutely correct concerning the potential for damage to electronics. READ THE LINKS. Note that MB will replace damaged electronics under the court settlement; and in addition, if the car has been serviced at a dealership as it should have been, the dealer should have found and cleared this problem without your doing anything.

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-12-2011 at 11:21 AM.