Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
Car won't start???

Hey,

So I valeted my car last night and I guess like always they turned the headlights to the ON position rather than leaving it set to AUTO the way I like it. I was the last one to get home, so the lights were on all night and now the car is dead. None of the lights come on (dash, overhead, anything) and the key won't turn at all.

I'm guessing it's just the battery, but I know these things are complicated and have multiple batteries, SAMs, alternators, etc.

What's the best mode of attack. Right now I have a battery tender plus (12v, 1.25amp hooked up and charging - red light solid on). Is there a next step I should plan for or just go buy a new battery and which one would I find at Pepboys or Autozone? I need the car in the morning, going to the airport.

Thanks, why do valet have to play with it and don't change it back - I maybe have used the light configuration 1x every year.

BTW 2004 S500

Last edited by GHAZAN; 05-19-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
For sure, it's your battery. You need a battery having the same cold cranking amp rating.

Your battery tender may get you recharged enough to start, but your battery could have been damaged by the deep discharge, and may fail. If it does, call MB roadside assistance through your dealer. They will come out and install a new battery; you pay the cost of the battery, but the installation is free with roadside assistance. Please note, however that MB recently modified the "free" portion of the roadside assistance - you must have your car serviced at a dealer within the past year, if I recall correctly.

More info at https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...tart-help.html
Old 05-19-2011, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
Thanks skylaw, I'll see how the charge goes and go from there.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
charged it for about 4 hours got tired of waiting (i think it said up to 9hrs)....still no go. We jumped it with the other car and initially nothing, but let it sit for 5-10mins with the cables attached and it turned. Let it idle and took it for a spin, cycled ignition couple times and looks ok...
Old 05-20-2011, 05:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 488 Likes on 432 Posts
Mercedes
keep charging it....

you will stress the car alternator too much if you force it to recharge a weakened battery. The alternator is designed to maintain a charged battery, not to charge up a weak battery
Old 05-20-2011, 08:29 AM
LAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S500
I had the same thing happen to me. Roadside assistance came and jumped it and i drove it for half hour and all has been fine since and that was 3 months ago.

PS: Skylaw is correct , roadside has changed the free portion anyway, service at dealer gives you 18 months free roadside. Any service even tire rotation.