S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Methanol for more BHP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S600
Methanol for more BHP?

I'm interested to know people's ideas on adding around 10% methanol to the tank for extra bhp. It's common practice in the UK for turbo cars, not least because it costs half the price of petrol.

I know it runs at about 6:1 normally and so at the ratio I propose will lean out the mixture a bit but, set against this, the octane rating is much higher.

Cheers,

Alanb
Old 05-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Leaning the mixture on a twin-turbo car is the worst possible thing you can do.

However, if you get the mixture right, by using methanol injection or some other method, then it does increase octane.

If you were using below the minimum recommended octane rating for the car, then it will give you some extra HP because the ECU will not have to retard timing to compensate for the lower quality fuel you were using prior to the methanol

But it does not really MAKE horsepower. What it does is allow the engine to keep more of the HP it already makes.

For example, the intake air temp sensor gives out high reading when car is on boost running hot. Based on the octane, it might detonate (pre-ignite), so ECU retards timing. If you have higher octane, ECU might not need to retard timing so you do not lose HP to heat-soak.

Or, you want to advance timing to get extra HP, but can't because fuel might pre-ignite. If you use methanol, it will not pre-ignite as easily, so you can advance the timing more without same risk as lower octane gas.

Bruce
Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage Temporarily Empty