S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Please help me understand is it THE KEY OR IGNITION (EIS)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220
Please help me understand is it THE KEY OR IGNITION (EIS)?

My keys are failing.
I have one key that doesnt work entirely.
I have a second key that opens the car but does not properly start it.
The key unlocks the ignition switch, turns to position 2, all electronics receive power, the ac goes on, dash lights up as it normally would, but as soon as I turn the key further ans start the engine, all electronics go off, lights, blinkers, climate control, lighters, horn, everything stops working. The shifter does stops shifting As well. The dash has all sorts of warning you could think of. The only way I can drive it is shift it out park into neutral when the key is in position 2 and then start the engine.

Can all of this be due to malfunctioning ignition switch?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:31 PM

W220
The rep at mercedes stated that the key would not turn in any mercedes.

He also stated that since ignition unlocks and I can turn the key, the ignition switch is likely to be fine. They want 120 for diagnosing, suspecting a computer problem.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:32 PM

W220
Here is some more info regarding the problem. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ition-key.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated./
Old 06-19-2011, 04:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
EIS

stores memory functions and controls most of the accessories in your car. i have had one replaced. your symptoms sound very similar to what our car was doing. it took the dealer 6 days to accurately diagnose the EIS. they replaced all the sams and were chasing ghosts all over the car until the EIS finally through a code that isolated it. honestly just spend the $120 to accurately diagnose to the best of their ability. understand that these cars have become so electronically complex and burdened with luxury accessories that even the dealer is occasionally forced to throw his best guess at it. i still love MB and am loyal until i can park a Bentley mulsanne in the garage.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:05 AM

W220
you said it right- chasing ghosts!
I just hope they dont do this in my case and find the aggressor fast and efficiently. I too wouldn't go to go a handyman shop unless it was a skillful mercedes tec I personally know. What sucks is that the keys stARTED failing same time this happened, which throws me off alot. Even the key got over-stuffed with electronics.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:15 AM

W220
Once again quick recap of the problems going on.

My ignition works irradically.

At times I would put the key in and it wouldnt unlock at all. So I would reinsert and the ignition unlocks.

Now when it does unlock and I turn the key, everything works as designed until I turn the key into position to crank the engine.

As soon as the engine is cranked and started by the electronic system, ALL ELECTRONICS SHUT OFF AS SOON AS THE ENGINE IS STARTED.

THE RADIO OFF
AC OFF
ALL POWERED DEVICES ARE OFF
TRANSMISSION LOCKS
LIGHTS, HORN, WIPERS - EVERYTHING IS POWERED DOWN, AS IF THE CAR IS SHUT OFF. THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS IS THE DASH, WHICH SHOWS ALL WARNING MESSAGES IT POSSIBLY CAN
These messages include ABS, engine, airmatic, BAS, antilock brakes and on and on. All in white color (not red).

The only way the car is driven is if I switch out of park when the key is in position 2, before cranking the engine. I have to open the windows prior to starting the engine as well, because these shut off too with everything else once the car is started. Thank you!.