S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2004 S430 Rain Damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e55 AMG - 2004 S430 4Matic
2004 S430 Rain Damage

In Maryland here... My sunroof was left open last night and we got some major rain. When I got in the car, I felt the front floors and they were dry. I thought I got lucky. As I was driving the car, I opened up the console where the BT phone hookup and it was was full of water. All the elctronics worked at the time but the rear shade (would not go up or down when pressing the dash button). The other buttons seemed to work as they lit up when I pressed them. The hazards also worked.

When I was driving home from my errand, the electronics started to go haywire. The phone still worked but the Sat radio console started turning itself off and on. My dashboard started to get all sorts of errors. the gas gauge did not work as well as the steering wheel controls. The buttons on the console did not work as well as the windows and seat, etc... The trunk would not open and the electronic key did not work for anthing.

I got home shut the car down and the lights flickered with a clicking coming from under the hood. There was also a clicking from the back seat. I felt the back area and it was soaked. Everything was shut down but the rea lights stayed on. They seemed to go back and forth (on each side) between off and on. I manually turned the lights to off and nothing changed.

I jumped on here and read a few things. I took the back seat out and lifted up the plastic mat and there was water down in the pits (behind passenger side). I took out the top brakcet which had three modules on them. I then took out the bottom bracket which had one module with many relays and fuses.
I cleaned out all the water and the rear lights went out, electric trunk worked and the front engine area clicking stopped. I still have one of the rear relays clicking (do not know which one yet).

I have a fan and dehumid in the rear seat drying it out.
The front compartment is completely dry but I wanted to take the seats out just to be certain. I can get to the front bolts but not the rear bolts as the seat is pushed back and the controls still do not work. Any other way to get to the bolts?

After everything is dried, what should I do next? I do not want to start the car and makes things worse as things seem to be getting a little better. and maybe whatever damage there may be cannot get worse.

I am going to check all the fuses and keep my fingers crossed.

Any suggestions (besides keep my sunroof closed from now on.. )would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 07-03-2011, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
If you have comprehensive coverage on your auto insurance , now is the time to use it. A proper repair will be $5000-15000.

I wouldn't attempt any diy as it can hurt the insurance claim. You should take pics of the water. Once you clean it out the insurer won't have evidence.

Yes driving the car or powering the electronics while wet will fry them. It sounds like several components are damaged already
Old 07-04-2011, 12:03 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
there's a good likelihood the shifter console assembly is toast.
My son left my E430 roof open and it has to be replaced.

Do not be surprised if the insurance company doesn't just total the car and hand you a check.
You might be able to get a good buy back though.