S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Registering tire air pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s430
Registering tire air pressure sensors

Recently I had COSTCO replace all four tires on my 2006 S430 4-Matic. Almost immediately I got a warning light stating that the tire pressure warning light was not functioning. COSTCO replaced all four stems at the same time as the tires. The COSTCO mechanic told me that it was required because the sensor battery in the stems would wear out.

Recently, a mechanic who works for a German auto repair garage told me that the sensors require "registration" with the command sensor module. If this isn't done that system is not going to work. Is this correct?

MB wanted $250 per tire to fix.

Help.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The sensors definitely require registration, but I have never been able to get a straight answer as to whether auto shops have the necessary equipment (some contributors report that they do), or whether it has to be done via STAR.

Registration should not cost more than an hour's labor, even at an MB dealership.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Originally Posted by sharpek
Recently I had COSTCO replace all four tires on my 2006 S430 4-Matic. Almost immediately I got a warning light stating that the tire pressure warning light was not functioning. COSTCO replaced all four stems at the same time as the tires. The COSTCO mechanic told me that it was required because the sensor battery in the stems would wear out.

Recently, a mechanic who works for a German auto repair garage told me that the sensors require "registration" with the command sensor module. If this isn't done that system is not going to work. Is this correct?

MB wanted $250 per tire to fix.

Help.
Perhaps I missed it but it's unclear to me in your thread whether Costco replaced the existing sensors with new sensors, or with standard non-sensor valve stems. If there are not TMPS Sensors in each tire/rim, then the $250 per tire makes sense as the dealer would have to install 4 new TMPS Sensors. I needed to have this done to my '05 S55 a couple weeks ago as the batteries apparently had drained over the 5-6 year period.

If Costco installed new TMPS Sensors, then yes, they need to be 'registered' to the car. However, I would question whether Costco has the ability to obtain the correct parts for the application. Regardless, I sort of remember a paragragh or two in my '05 S55 Owner's Manual about 'registering' the TMPS Sensors to the car after ensuring the tire pressure is correct.

My suspicion however, is that Costco removed the existing TMPS Sensors from each rim. If you need new TMPS Sensors, ensure you check the packaging for each sensor - there is a use-by-date on each package. I was told by the MB dealer each sensor should last about 4-5 years, which for me was about right.

Cheers,
Jeff