S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

My Dad Finally Let Me Try the Car Today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car
Talking My Dad Finally Let Me Try the Car Today

After being with Mercedes-Benz for 8 years (since I was 8), and being on this forum for two years, I got my permit last Friday! It took a little convincing, but I finally got to try out the car in an empty parking lot. I see why it took a while for him to say yes: 302 horsepower is actually a lot! I definitely want to take an emergency driving maneuver course now. Driving is easier said than done.

The car feels great though! You can easily forget how fast you're going, and sometimes might hit the cruise control instead of the signal xD
Old 08-14-2011, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Great to see you learning, driving isn't all that hard though, you'll pick it up quickly, hell when I first drove a car it was like I had been driving for years, that was a long time ago though and so far (knock on wood, thank God) I haven't been in an accident, just make sure to pay attention and there is one vital rule

RULE: You have to compensate for other drivers' errors

Don't just assume if they hit you or if it's their fault you'll get money or the blame is on them, learn to analyze the road and constantly scan for obstacles. Most importantly is no distractions, I'm not talking about people speaking in the car, I mean no mobile phones, food, laptops, no makeup doing while driving (if you're a female....or a cross-dresser ) etc etc. Plus always have your seat and mirrors adjusted accordingly.

PS. Don't panic, people will sometimes scream at you, swear at you in the car etc. Just block them out, do what is safe, don't jump in front of a car or into an intersection from pressure from the person from behind, pretend they're not even there.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by CarboyS
After being with Mercedes-Benz for 8 years (since I was 8), and being on this forum for two years, I got my permit last Friday! It took a little convincing, but I finally got to try out the car in an empty parking lot. I see why it took a while for him to say yes: 302 horsepower is actually a lot! I definitely want to take an emergency driving maneuver course now. Driving is easier said than done.

The car feels great though! You can easily forget how fast you're going, and sometimes might hit the cruise control instead of the signal xD

There are teen driving courses at racetracks - different from the "standard" driver's course . At least at Buttonwillow here in CA. I'm sure there are some in your area.

Enjoy and drive safe.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
No texting while driving......
Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 PM

Car
Originally Posted by Vabene7
No texting while driving......
I shut my phone off during vacations and driving
Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Congrats, I know that feeling. I still remember before I had my license I was so excited to drive.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 PM

2002 S430
Warmest welcome... Driving will never be boring especially in an MB.

You already received quite a few pieces of good advice, let me just add one more: for drivers of your age group the temptation to show off is as hazardous as texting...

Wishing all the best to you
Old 05-02-2012, 07:36 PM

Car
Thank you so much! Driving keeps feeling better and better after all these months. And the more time you spend with a Mercedes, the more you can tell why it is the best in luxury - you can never become tired driving it. That's why I never want to anything stupid in a car, especially a Mercedes.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
HEY, WANT TO LEARN HOW TO DO A "BURN OUT"?

STEAL YOUR DAD CAR WHEN HE'S ASLEEP, GO TO EMPTY PARKING SPACE, TURN OFF THE TRACTION CONTROL OFF..AND HOLD BRAKE AND GAS HARD TO THE FLOOR !...WHEN U FINISH BRING THE CAR BACK HOME AND RETURN THE KEY!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
Originally Posted by Viet_Amg408

STEAL YOUR DAD CAR WHEN HE'S ASLEEP, GO TO EMPTY PARKING SPACE, TURN OFF THE TRACTION CONTROL OFF..AND HOLD BRAKE AND GAS HARD TO THE FLOOR !...WHEN U FINISH BRING THE CAR BACK HOME AND RETURN THE KEY!
guilty as charged.....lol
Old 05-08-2012, 09:18 PM

Car
Originally Posted by Viet_Amg408

Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by CarboyS
And the more time you spend with a Mercedes, the more you can tell why it is the best in luxury - you can never become tired driving it.
dead wrong.

Driving while very tired (which can happen in any car) has similar accident rates to drunk driving.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM

Car
Originally Posted by Oliverk
dead wrong.

Driving while very tired (which can happen in any car) has similar accident rates to drunk driving.
LOL Don't worry I didn't mean it literally I meant that the car is a very enjoyable car....just clarifying. My parents and I are certainly way smart enough to know the difference between driving responsibly and recklessly.

Last edited by CarboyS; 05-09-2012 at 03:09 PM.