S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Temp 110 degrees outside my s430 AC drivers side stuck on heat!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s430
Temp 110 degrees outside my s430 AC drivers side stuck on heat!!!!!

My, new to me 2000 (1999) S430 80000 miles has some AC problems. I am Brand new to the site and already received so much great information, BUT although I am sure the thread must already exist in the Archives I cannot locate on any searches. Can anyone please point me to the right place I live in Henderson Nevada (don't hold that against me!) outside temperatures 110 degrees plus and my driver’s side vent closest to the door is stuck somehow on heating, blowing out hot, hot air! the other vents are blowing cold although I am not sure the rear is blowing that cold. I have followed previous post to reset at the center consul, (at least I THINK I have) but to no avail, I found the terrific forum with all the pictures from W211 Ryda posted 06-29-2008, 09:10 PM DIY: Installing a new Changeover/Heater Control Valve although for the rear seating AC issues will that solve my problem? I do not want to waste peoples time going over old issues so if anybody can point me to the archive that will help me, I would be most grateful!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 PM

s430
197 views but no advice!....I guess eithier it is a really stupid question......or has been ask so many times before your all bored with the AC topic....or the most likely you found out I am a Brit living in the USA! ....thanks for taking the time to read anyway
Old 09-01-2011, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
It's not a stupid question. It would seem to me that an actuator has failed - either a motor or a connecting link - somewhere in your system. I doubt it is the changeover/heater control valve, because you are getting cold air from the rest of the vents. I do not have any DIY links to provide you for this problem in the W220, and I doubt the ones I have for an R107 will help.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:47 PM

s430
Thanks Skylaw, I am sure you can see that I am a novice....BUT with a desire to learn! ...well now a need to learn, having joined the disabled after recently returning from Iraq, Dealership prices are way out of reach, ....change that thought, .....REPAIR shops are way out of reach, so anything that is repairs 101, or that I cant make worse by trying is on my agenda of "to do list" after I finish "the honety do list" which gives me free time between midnight and 6.30 a.m. Thanks for taking the time to respond, at now at least I can look in the right direction!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
First, thank you for your service, and I am very sorry for your injuries. My wife works at CENTCOM headquarters, and every day she goes to work she is trying to make things as "safe" as possible (I know, an impossibility, but she tries) for the folks who are in harm's way. You are very much on our minds. I am a Viet Nam vet, and have an inkling of what you face in combat - though yours was in very different circumstances.

I suggest that you go over to BenzWorld for this issue, and post the question there - not because BW is better, but because I know of some of the members who are MB techs. www.benzworld.org. I am not as familiar with which members here are techs.

While there, look for any post by member eric242340 (there is one at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...-airmatic.html) - send your question to him in a private message, as well as posting it in the open forum. You send a private message by clicking on the screen name of the individual in the "avatar" area, and selecting the "private message" option in the drop-down menu.

Eric is a moderator on BW; he also owns a Mercedes repair shop (in China), and is very knowledgeable and responsive to requests. He will likely be able to help, and very willing to do so. He may have MB shop diagrams related to the problem; he can tell you the name of the part (it will be on the diagram) and the part number.

If a part needs replacement, and once you have it identified by part number, I suggest checking with Potomac German Auto, the largest Mercedes breaker yard in the U.S. They have an extensive parts catalog online - but it is so vast it is hard to use. I suggest giving them a phone call instead. http://www.pgauto.com/- their pricing will be far lower than new. However, if you want a new part, there are other parts sources listed in the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia discussed below.

You can also sign up for the Mercedes Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) - it is free, but you do need a credit card. You will not be charged. The EPC has exploded diagrams of component assemblies, as well as part names and numbers. Often, you can figure out a repair just by seeing how things go together. http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/start.jsp Another source is AllData, a subscription service - but AllData is sometimes not as complete as the EPC. I would look up the EPC diagrams and part numbers for you myself, but I use a Mac, and the EPC is not Mac compatible.

Last: As a W220 owner, I invite your attention to the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia. It is a categorized listing of the best of the informational and DIY threads that I could cull from the 2000+ links that I have referenced in my bookmarks. While there is one on MBWorld, some members would not cooperate with my requests not to use it as a discussion thread, but to preserve it as a research tool. As a result, I no longer update the one on MBWorld. However, I do update the ones on BenzWorld and on MBCA (Mercedes Benz Club of America) because as a moderator I can "lock" the threads and keep extraneous posts out. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...tart-here.html and http://www.mbca.org/forum/w220-s-cla...dia-start-here - there you will find more information on MB repair.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by Skylaw; 09-02-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:37 PM

s430
Thank you Sir for all the wonderful inforation I will most cirtainly take advantage of everything you mention and cannot thank you enough. On a personal note when deployed to combat locations in the world it is easy to sometime wonder if anybody even remembers your there, so appreciation of your wife's service and efforts cannot be overstated and from one person from the tens of thousands she helps I would like to say thankyou