S600 Power Steering Pump with ABC - Big Savings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'62 190SL, '89300E, '94SL600, '01CLK320, '01S600
S600 Power Steering Pump with ABC - Big Savings

Hello:

The power steering pump on my 01 S600 began leaking last week. I could see the leak at the top of the front case seal. It was a 25 cent "O ring" from what I could see. After much searching I was unable to find a re-build kit. I called the Dealership and was quoted over $3500.00 for a new pump plus $1700 labor to R&R.

After hours on the internet (I searched MB World first, but found very little) I found www.powersteeringpros.com selling rebuilt OEM LUK pumps for $695. ! ($995. for a new one) They are 100% guarenteed for a year and really took a lot of the $ hurt out of the problem. $35 shipping got it to my door NEXT DAY!

I spent 2-3 hours disassembling the top driver's side of the engine to remove the pump, but gave it up as I did not have a lift and clearly, some specialty tools were required. An excellent, experienced local exotic car mechanical shop agreed to install the pump for $525.

This was a $4,000.00 / 75% savings over the Mercedes Dealer!

If I had been able to locate some diagrams or instruction on pump replacement, I probably would have continued the job myself. I found absolutely nothing though. I would still be very interested in knowing how things come apart if any member knows or has some diagrams / photos.

Also, I wanted to mention that the pump manufacturer, LUK said Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF ($11.) was just fine to use with the ABC system / pump. I mentioned that MB recommended a special Pentosin based fluid ($35/qt) and he laughed. He said any high quality synthetic was just fine.

If anyone knows of the removal steps or has any diagrams for a 600 Power Steering Pump, I would very much appreciate hearing of it please.

Thank you. Tom
Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 PM

2004 SL500, 2003 S55, 2002 S430 RIP, 1999 ML430, 1999 SLK Sports 230 Compressor "Sold"
Originally Posted by Niagara Falls
Also, I wanted to mention that the pump manufacturer, LUK said Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF ($11.) was just fine to use with the ABC system / pump. I mentioned that MB recommended a special Pentosin based fluid ($35/qt) and he laughed. He said any high quality synthetic was just fine.

Let us now how your power steering issue turns out using the Mobil1 Synthetic fluid. I just purchased a Liter of Pentosin from the dealer for $46.00 /liter (tax included). I didnt want to mess around with the fluid.
I would ask another mechanic for a 2nd opinion on the fluid. Take care!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:40 PM

BMW M5
Originally Posted by wsy3benz
Let us now how your power steering issue turns out using the Mobil1 Synthetic fluid. I just purchased a Liter of Pentosin from the dealer for $46.00 /liter (tax included). I didnt want to mess around with the fluid.
I would ask another mechanic for a 2nd opinion on the fluid. Take care!
+1000 on the fluid
What is the Mercedes part number of the pump?
Is there green on the reservoir cap for the PAS?

Kind Regards,
E.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:59 PM

2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House

As said above, make dead sure about the ABC oil as it makes or breaks the system. You could damage your entire ABC suspension with $11 Mobil ATF. In the long run.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:08 PM

Follow Up S600 ABC / PS Pump Replacement

Originally Posted by Niagara Falls
Hello:

The power steering pump on my 01 S600 began leaking last week. I could see the leak at the top of the front case seal. It was a 25 cent "O ring" from what I could see. After much searching I was unable to find a re-build kit. I called the Dealership and was quoted over $3500.00 for a new pump plus $1700 labor to R&R.

After hours on the internet (I searched MB World first, but found very little) I found www.powersteeringpros.com selling rebuilt OEM LUK pumps for $695. ! ($995. for a new one) They are 100% guarenteed for a year and really took a lot of the $ hurt out of the problem. $35 shipping got it to my door NEXT DAY!

I spent 2-3 hours disassembling the top driver's side of the engine to remove the pump, but gave it up as I did not have a lift and clearly, some specialty tools were required. An excellent, experienced local exotic car mechanical shop agreed to install the pump for $525.

This was a $4,000.00 / 75% savings over the Mercedes Dealer!

If I had been able to locate some diagrams or instruction on pump replacement, I probably would have continued the job myself. I found absolutely nothing though. I would still be very interested in knowing how things come apart if any member knows or has some diagrams / photos.

If anyone knows of the removal steps or has any diagrams for a 600 Power Steering Pump, I would very much appreciate hearing of it please.

Thank you. Tom

Just wanted to lete everyone know everything worked out extremely well with the pump for $695, install for $525 and Mobil 1 Synthetic @ $11 / qt. The pump arrived the next day and appeared to be new. It was an exact duplicate of the one in the car and was definitely OEM. The install was very smooth with the car dropped off at 9:00 AM and returned at 4:30 PM.
The entire msystem is smooth, absolutely silent and everything functions exactly as it should.

No issues whatsoever.

I highly recommend this repair route and parts and fluids to anyone with MB ABC issues / a bad pump. The $ savings was huge... many thousands!

Thanks. Tom
Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 PM

RE: MB Pentosin

Originally Posted by Sher Judge

As said above, make dead sure about the ABC oil as it makes or breaks the system. You could damage your entire ABC suspension with $11 Mobil ATF. In the long run.
Hello:

Thanks for the note. I personally know of at least 1 other MB owner with ABC who has been running Mobil 1 Synthetic for a couple of years. He has had zero issues / problems. I was running it for about 3500 miles when the front cover steel (not seal) split. From the casting marks I see under magnification, it appears to be a design flaw / too thin. When the cover split about 1-1/2", many of the components near it shifted. However, other then the leak, the pump and system still worked fine.
Also, as I said, I mentioned the Moibil One Synthetic to the Pump Manufacturer, who should know, I would hope, what is acceptable for what they make. He said the Mobil One was fine.

The issue is the word SYNTHETIC, I believe. The petroleum based fluids wear down the seals and gaskets which are not designed to take the solvency content. Pentosin is synthetic / non-petroleum based as is the Mobil One. When I checked the charts in the parts store on the Mobil One Synthetic, Mercedes Benz was on the recommended list also.

Now, of course, I would not expect any Mercedes Dealer to endorse Mobil Synthetic. However, when I ask the Dealers "WHY" I never, ever get a real answer. "Because the factory says so"
BTW, as I am able to determine, "Pentosin" is a single-manufacturer product, with the formula locked up very, very tightly. There is only one source for it as I am able to find. I would not be suprised if there were fees being paid to specify the product ONLY with NO SUBSTITUTES WHATSOEVER.

Of further interest, I was told there is yet ANOTHER manufacturer of Synthetic Fluid that was on the Parts Store charts. (sorry, I forgot the manufacturer) and, it too, was recommended for MB.

As I own so many MBs (we bought the 190SL new in 1963) I am obviously a great, great enthusiast of Mercedes. The finest automobile made. I have come across many, many opportunities to 'substitute' a much less expensive item for an OEM MB component. I do not take substitution lightly. You can easily end up costing yourself 10 times the original investment and do great damage to your vehicle trying to 'save a couple bucks'. I could have bought a non OEM CPS for a quarter of the price of the Bosch, but I wanted to stick to the original, in this case for the sake of performance and smooth running. I am a fanatic on a dead silent idle with zero vibration.

On the other hand, I don't believe in throwing money away either.

The specifications for viscosity of Pentosin vs Mobil One Syn. are virtually identical, and "synthetic is synthetic". It's the seals that an owner needs to worry about here. The facts as I am able to gather them are, the Mobil One probably has a greater endurance capacity (before breakdown) then the Pentosin. I would be very receptive for any facts, specifications and valid reasoning why Pentosin is absolutely required, other then "because". As I said, from what I can gather, the Mobil One Synthetic is probably a superior product.
Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by Niagara Falls; 09-26-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:38 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
SL63 (R230), CL500 (C215), SL55 (R129), CE300-24 Cabrio (A124)
Iam a bit sceptic if a local mechanic decides to know it better than the german development engineers.
(veggie oil would probably also work, but how long....)
However here is the offical reference list of MB specifications and the vendors which complies to it.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevoli...&language_id=1

The components are simply to expensive to play roulette with them.

Cheers, Frank

Last edited by Frank_S500; 09-27-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:01 PM

Last edited by Niagara Falls; 09-30-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Quote was absent - re-posted with quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:27 PM

Mercedes ABC Fluids - "Local Mechanic" clarification

Originally Posted by Frank_S500
Iam a bit sceptic if a local mechanic decides to know it better than the german development engineers.
(veggie oil would probably also work, but how long....)
However here is the offical reference list of MB specifications and the vendors which complies to it.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevoli...&language_id=1

The components are simply to expensive to play roulette with them.

Cheers, Frank
===============================

Hello Frank:

Thank you for your comment. I am not/have not recommending that anyone choose any specific fluid or part. Rather, I was sharing my observations and, offering the recommendations of others, including their credentials / title in each and every instance.

I don't find any reference in any of the posts regarding ABC fluid, attributed to a "local mechanic".

The primary source that I found reputable was the pump MANUFACTURER. This is where I bought the pump from that was OEM. This is the OEM pump I just put on the car. As they do their own manufacturing of the assembly in question, I would take their advice, comments and recommendations seriously.

The second source was from a fellow Mercedes S-Class owner, who has been running Mobil One Synthetic for over 3 years with no issues.

Thirdly, I ran Mobil One Synthetic for over 3500 miles myself with no issues whatsoever. My OEM pump, FORWARD CASE, SPLIT on me. Upon magnification, it split at a casting mark ane was a manufacturer's defect.

It is of significant note that the Mobil Fluids Recommendation chart, (factory from Mobil at the parts store) specifies "Mercedes Benz" Automobiles on it's application list for Mobil One Synthetic.

Also, I hold 2 (long expired) automobile manufacturer's mechanical repair licenses. They are NOT for Mercedes, but I do understand general concepts. I have a degree in Chemical Engineering and was CEO/owner of a multinational private label chemical manufacturing company for 30 years+. My company had plants in the U.S. and Europe and manufactured a wide variety of private label, manufacturer's chemical products (450 different products), including power steering fluids and ATFs. I was often involved directly with formulation. I retired 10 years ago.

I hope this clarifies any misunderstanding with regard to my taking the advice of a/any 'local mechanic'.

Again, please, I am NOT recommending anything. Just sharing information I have received and included the reference's specifics.

Thank you very much.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG
Smile just a note on Pentosin chf11s

I am doing some routine engine bay inspection cleaning and realized I am a little low on ps fluid so came here to read up on fluid type. I started looking for the Pentosin fluid and knew it would be expensive. Just a note if the dealer is charging nearly 50 bucks for a qt. I found it at Oreillys for 22 dollars, only 10 bucks more than mobil 1 synthetic, I'm indifferent either way personally but just wanted to throw it out there that the Pentosin can be had for less than half of dealer cost. the Part number is CHF11S for what it's worth. Great posting by the way.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
hi, checked your link and all i was able to find was power steering racks. where do you find the abc pump?
thanks.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Guys, I've got 10 liters oem fluid for someone needing it, for 1/2 dealer price. Pm me if interested.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 S600 Twin Turbo V12
MB ABC Fluid

I believe the MB spec for ABC fluid is 345.0

I looked on the Amsoil website and I see their recommended power steering fluid is is Product Code: PSFCN-EA and it meets the following specs:

Mercedes Benz 236.3; 345.0; 001 989 24 03 10; 001 989 24 03 12 & Q 1 32 0001

12 quarts for $87.50
5 Liters for $38.80
10 Liters for $77.05
5 gallons for $187.90

I've been running Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil since I got the car and I know it's specs compare quite favorably to Mobile 1 synthetic. Anyone up for a Four Ball Wear Test?

I'm gonna change my pump soon and I think I'll give the Amsoil a try.